UC20 no long supports graphics on the latest NUCs

Hi,

Unfortunately, it seems like at least some of the latest generation of NUC, NUC11, no longer have graphics that work with linux 5.4 kernel. Testing on the NUC11TNHv5 last week, we got this in dmesg:

[    5.710876] [drm] Your graphics device 9a49 is not properly supported by the driver in this
               kernel version. To force driver probe anyway, use i915.force_probe=9a49
               module parameter or CONFIG_DRM_I915_FORCE_PROBE=9a49 configuration option,
               or (recommended) check for kernel updates.

Snaps like mir-kiosk then fail to run properly, due to lack of supported DRM device.

In the same way that LTS HWE can improve hardware support for new devices in LTS Classic, is there any scope for Canonical creating snaps from the interim release ubuntu versions kernel too ?

Searching the snaps, I don’t see anything that provides anything newer than 5.4

Of course we can create our own kernel snap, but we are keen to keep Secure Boot to enable FDE and so leverage Canonical’s signing.

Anyone got any other thoughts, or it that it for newer hardware support now ?

Cheers,
Just

UC20 uses a 5.4 kernel … UC18 uses 4.15 … i fear you will have to use something newer than UC16 (4.4) on these devices …

Yeah I’m curious how you are using 4.4 with UC20…

@ogra @ijohnson - in case you hadn’t guessed, that was a typo, it should have read 5.4 - I have updated the message :sweat_smile:

Cheers, Just

This sounds like a kernel support question, I would recommend filing a but against linux-generic on launchpad and ask the kernel folks about supporting this hardware with the 5.4 kernel

It is a kernel support @ijohnson , I can try raising a bug, although I suspect if support is in the current HWE kernel on 20.04 LTS, 5.8 , they will not be that interested in back porting support to 5.4

That’s one of my questions for you guys though. Is the HWE kernel idea currently used in LTS release something that could or has been looked at for UC ?

The LTS packages are there to do it, it’s just up to Canonical to commit to the release processes for it or not.

Cheers,
Just

Hi @jocado,
I assume you got the drm message at boot, right? Also, could you post how you tested the graphics (steps, expected results)? Tks

Just to confirm for anyone else reading this, that using a different kernel snap fixes the issue by adding support for the latest Intel hardware. The recently released intel-kernel snap is based on the linux-oem-20.04 kernels.

We now have working graphics on the NUC11TNHv5 :+1:

Cheers, Just

1 Like