Ubuntu-frame re-activate screen after idle timeout using command

Hello,

I am experimenting with the ubuntu-frame snap to setup a kiosk. This is working fine using the ubuntu-frame and wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk snaps.

I have one question that I am unable to find a solution for: when I set an idle timeout for the screen so that it blanks after a period of inactivity, I can only reactivate the screen by moving the mouse or the keyboard.

For the application I have in mind I would like to be able to activate the screen from software.

Is there anybody who knows how to do this? With the X11 server one could to xset s reset but this of course no longer works using ubuntu-frame.

Thanks, Lieven.

The Wayland extension most close to what you need is zwp_idle_inhibit_manager_v1, and that is supported by Ubuntu Frame. I doubt there is any support for this extension in wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk, but your own software could make use of it.

Hello @alan_g,

thanks for your response and pointer to the idle_inhibit_manager.

The thing is that I need to be able to wake the display from sleep, not prevent it from going to sleep (which the inhibit manager provides if I understand it correctly).

I was able to work around the issue by emulating a mousemove event using ydotool like this:

sudo ydotool mousemove -- -100 100.

I hope this helps others who want to obtain the same effect.

Kind regards, Lieven.

hi,

Just for information if someone find this post like me. ydotool return one error for me.

my workaround is
on ssh session :

sudo evemu-record > recording.evemu 

(choose your keyboard) press ESPACE (physical keyboard on the host) make CTRL+C (on session SSH)

evemu-play /dev/input/eventX < recording.evemu

(‘X’ is the event keyboard)

My screen wakeup !