Ubuntu Core & Intel NUC Compute Elements

Has anyone tested the core18 or core20 pre-built images on Intel NUC Compute Elements?

The download page for the core18 Intel NUC image says it is only certified for Dawson Canyon (NUC7i7DNHE, NUC7i7DNKE, NUC7i7DNBE, NUC7i5DNHE, NUC7i5DNKE, NUC7i5DNBE, NUC7i3DNHE, NUC7i3DNKE, and NUC7i3DNBE) and June Canyon (NUC7PJYH and NUC7CJYH).

I can’t find reference to any certified Intel NUC devices for core20 yet. In fact the Ubuntu website doesn’t list any certified hardware for core20 at all.

There are varous NUC 8, NUC 9 and NUC 11 Compute Elements available. I’m particularly interested in using a compute element in conjunction with a NUC Rugged Board Element (Austin Beach) carrier board, like the CMB1ABA.

More generally, how likely is it that the pre-built images will run on un-certified Intel NUC hardware? I’m finding the list of certified hardware very limited and struggling to source hardware in the rugged form factor I need, but I’m currently at a prototyping stage and not in a position to pay Canonical for their device enablement service. I’m wondering if I buy a non-listed board how likely it is to work, including networking and graphics support.

Thanks

well, this is intel and the core images use the standard linux-generic kernel. it is very likely that the basic bits work (like you can use ubuntu sevrer on most intel based servers). i’d expect potential problems rather in the peripherials than in the mainboard (though there is indeed no guarantee)

1 Like

I’ve been running UC20 on a NUC9 [ Elements is the only model base as far as I know ].

All works fine.

But, as @ogra points out, extra peripherals may cause issues, depending on what they are and what you want to do.

Cheers,
Just

@jocado That’s great to know, thanks.

Are you using graphics and audio or is it for a headless application?

Have you tried core18?

I haven’t tried UC18, but NUC9 I would expect it to basically work.

I have tried graphics [ which works ], but not audio. I do man onboard graphics, not adding a discrete GPU.

Cheers,
Just