Ubuntu Core 22 Beta is now available

Ubuntu Core, the Ubuntu flavour optimised for IoT and edge devices, has now available a Beta version for the new UC22 release. You can start using Ubuntu Core 22 Beta if you’re interested in testing the new features of the upcoming GA release.

This release builds on established strengths for Ubuntu Core, consolidating its reliable and secure nature and introducing new features. Some of them include::

• Remodelling allows you to change the ID of a device so that it can be rebranded, remodelled or assigned to a different Store
  • Validation sets help you ensure that only specific snaps are installed, and optionally, only specific snaps at fixed revisions
  • Factory reset
  • Piboot as the one-stage bootloader on Raspberry Pi, offering user experience improvements like booting from external devices and better support for hats
  • Speed improvements
  • Footprint reduction
  • MAAS support

And much more.

Pre-built images are available to download for some of the most popular architectures.

The general availability of Ubuntu Core 22 will be announced in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

6 Likes

How can I use the beta image (version amd64) for use in snapcraft? Installing the image using “snap install” fails. Error is “cannot find signatures with metadata”.

Best regards

Stefan

these images are supposed to be used to boot actual hardware (or VMs) into UbuntuCore. you can not “snap install” them in any way, you flash them to a bootable disk of your device (or point your VM to the uncompressed image as boot harddisk)…

Hi Stefan,

The process of installing Ubuntu Core is quite straightforward. You just need to flash de image into the storage of your hardware and boot it.

The flash method may depend on the hardware platform you are using. The following tutorials could give you some hints about the process (or you could follow them directly if you are using a Raspberry PI or Intel NUC):

OK, if the images are now available in beta status, I’d suppose I could use core22 as a new base for snapcraft:

$ snap list
Name               Version          Revision  Tracking       Herausgeber  Hinweise
bare               1.0              5         latest/stable  canonical✓   base
core18             20220428         2409      latest/stable  canonical✓   base
core20             20220329         1434      latest/stable  canonical✓   base
core22             20220425         165       latest/stable  canonical✓   base
firefox            100.0-2          1300      latest/stable  mozilla✓     -
gnome-3-38-2004    0+git.1f9014a    99        latest/stable  canonical✓   -
gtk-common-themes  0.1-59-g7bca6ae  1519      latest/stable  canonical✓   -
multipass          1.9.0            6920      latest/stable  canonical✓   -
snapcraft          6.1              7201      latest/stable  canonical✓   classic
snapd              2.55.3           15534     latest/stable  canonical✓   snapd

When starting snapcraft, I still get this error message:

Launching a VM.
Build environment is in unknown state, cleaning first.
info failed: The following errors occurred:
instance "snapcraft-gnome-commander" does not exist
launch failed: Unable to find an image matching "core22". Please use `multipass find` for supported remotes and images.
An error occurred with the instance when trying to launch with 'multipass': returned exit code 2.
Ensure that 'multipass' is setup correctly and try again

This is from my snapcraft.yaml:

name: gnome-commander
version: 1.13.1
summary: Testversion of SNAP for GNOME Commander
description: |
  GNOME Commander is a fast, flexible and well known file manager.

grade: devel # must be 'stable' to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: devmode
base: core22

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,

Stefan

i think this deserves a new topic in the snapcraft category (since this post is really about running the new images on devices), i also believe building with a core22 base will only be supported with snapcraft 7.x (and will also require a lot of additional changes to your core20 snapcraft.yaml (going from 18 to 20 definitely did, so i think it is valid to expect the same for 20->22))

This issue seems to be fixed: Bug #1968867 “Ubuntu Core 20 Raspberry Pi 4 4Gb “start4.elf not ...” : Bugs : snapd

I’m also excited to read that this use case should be fixed too. I’ve ordered a additional SSD HAT so I don’t have to screw up my current setup :smiley:

Unfortunately, I’m not able to boot off from an SSD that is running Ubuntu Core 22. It works perfectly with classic Ubuntu Server 22.04. Using a Raspberry Pi 4.

Anything in particular that needs to be set, to be able to boot it off from the SSD?

EDIT: I can add that the cursor shows up on the display and it keeps blinking, but nothing happens from there on.