Ubuntu 21.04 - Thunderbird - New window indicator for every sent mail, does not disappear

I’m using Thunderbird 78.11.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 21.04. When I start thunderbird, one orange dot appears next to it’s icon when the main window opens.

When I compose a new email, a second orange dot appears when the compose message window opens.
If I discard the email without sending it, the 2nd orange dot diappears when the window disappears.

However, if I “SEND” the composed email, a new small popup window appears with a progress bar as the email is sent, and then the window disappears, BUT, the 2nd orange dot does not go away.

If I send more emails, I get a new persistent orange dot for every email sent.
multiple_dots_one_per_email_sent

Normally I wouldn’t complain about a wierd gui issue, except that this issue causes a problem after I close thunderbird. When Thunderbird is closed, if there is one or more “phantom” dots, I am no longer able to open thunderbird by left clicking on the icon, and if I try and open the right click menu the menu opens and then “freezes” open.
[I have an image of the open/frozen menu as well, but the forum won’t let new uses include two images in a post…]

The only way I’ve found to resolve this issue is to log out and then log back in.

Any suggestions for things to check? Is this something specific to my setup, or can others replicate this?

1 Like

I experience the same behaviour. For reopening thunderbird after it has been closed I have found another workaround - a middle click opens thunderbird again.

1 Like

Middle-Click is generally “open-new-window” so that makes sense, thanks for the workaround!

Now, anybody have an idea why it happens (issue with the snap or a race condition with gnome code that counts the number of open windows?) and have any ideas on how to fix it permanently? (or command line magic that rests the “number of dots to display” count?)

Same here. In addition if I right click on the Thunderbird icon after the dot becomes a “phantom”, the context menu won’t disappear until I open and close the Activities overview with the Super key.

Created an account to add my +1 .

Generally, these things get fixed if I wait a while, but this has gone on for over a month, so I thought I’d search to see if it was just me.

Ubuntu 21.04 Wayland TB 78.11.0

[later edit] Sorry 'bout that: I’m not running a snap version :frowning:
But I do have the same issue.

[still later edit] Appears to be a Wayland issue: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1351222/ubuntu-gnome-21-04-software-update-breaks-thunderbird-window-management

That’s not a snap-specific problem, in fact it seems people are observing it with the deb package in Ubuntu, not the snap. This is being tracked by bug #1932328, let’s continue the conversation there and close this thread to avoid confusion.