Ubuntu 18.04 fresh install default snaps are updated but runtime isn't

I just reinstalled Ubuntu 18.04 and updated it. After a while the built-in snaps (gnome-calculator, gnome-system-monitor etc) stopped working. On attempting to run the snap from the command line, I got an error asking me to connect the snap to the gnome-3-26-1604 runtime. This, however, did not work. I tried removing and then reinstalling gnome-calculator at which point it gave an error about being unable to download the gnome-3-28-1804 runtime.

error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Download snap "gnome-3-28-1804" (23) from channel "stable" (Get https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/TKv5Fm000l4XiUYJW9pjWHLkCPlDbIg1_23.snap: EOF)

I installed this manually and then connected the snaps to the 3-28 run time and now they work.

1. snapd updated the bundled snaps (they show version 3.32 in snap list) but not the runtime (only 3-26-1604 was installed)

2. Manually removing and reinstalling a snap resulted in a failed attempt to download the runtime

3. I had to further connect the snaps to the new runtime, which wasn’t entirely clear from the rather generic error message

You need to connect this snap to the gnome platform snap.

You can do this with those commands:
    snap install gnome-3-26-1604
    snap connect gnome-system-monitor:gnome-3-26-1604 gnome-3-26-1604

(the ‘3-26-1604’ number defines the platform version and might change)

It would have been easier if the snap had specified the exact runtime that it needed to connect to.

1 Like

I will look into this issue.