Trouble running remmina with connection to gnome

I’m not sure if it was a recent snap update or snapd update that caused this. I have remmina installed via snap. I’m running Solus.

When I try to run snap run remmina I get the following
snap run remmina
You need to connect this snap to the gnome platform snap.

You can do this with those commands:
snap install gnome-3-26-1604
snap connect remmina:gnome-3-26-1604 gnome-3-26-1604

(the '3-26-1604' number defines the platform version and might change)

Relevant output of snap list

core               16-2.35.2               5548  stable    canonical✓    core
gnome-3-26-1604    3.26.0                  70    stable    canonical✓    -
gtk-common-themes  0.1                     701   stable    canonical✓    -
remmina            1.2.32                  1769  stable    remmina✓      -

So I try and run sudo snap connect remmina:gnome-3-26-1604 gnome-3-26-1604 and the command completes successfully, but the next attempt to snap run remmina results in the same error. I have seen no errors in sudo journalctl -u snapd. I had the idea to reinstall the remmina snap, but I can’t find a snap command to reinstall a snap and removing and then installing will wipe all of my user data in remmina (I have been bitten by this before).

snap version:

snap    2.35
snapd   2.35
series  16
solus   3.9999
kernel  4.18.11-93.current

Any ideas as to how I can fix this connection?

possibly the namespace got into a confused state. You could try running as root:

/usr/lib/snapd/snap-discard-ns remmina

I just ran that as root to discard the namespace. The very next run gives many permissions errors on /snap and then ultimately the same error about connecting the 2 snaps. Even after trying to run the connect command again, there is no change.

Thanks for the idea though!

I wasn’t able to make any progress so I backed up the files I thought were necessary from ~/snap/remmina and ran snap remove remmina && snap install remmina. Afterwards, I coppied the files I needed back into the snap folder and remmina launches again. Still not sure what has caused this, but I’m back to running remmina again.

After a reboot, this problem seems to have returned. I’m not sure what else to try at this point in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Ok so this has been running fine for a few weeks and then all of a sudden today it doesn’t work. I think this one was caused by a refresh. If I run sudo snap info remmina this is my output:

summary:   Remote Desktop Client
publisher: Remmina Upstream Developers (remmina✓)
license:   unset
description: |
  Remmina is a remote desktop client written in GTK+, aiming to be useful for
  system administrators and travellers, who need to work with lots of remote
  computers in front of either large monitors or tiny netbooks. Remmina supports
  multiple network protocols in an integrated and consistent user interface.
  Currently RDP, VNC, SPICE, NX, XDMCP and SSH are supported.

Remmina is free and open-source software, released under GNU GPL license.
commands:
  - remmina
  - remmina.winpr-hash
  - remmina.winpr-makecert
snap-id:      XC73ux8XOHjoahd9keAyvM3LVkPBLTzy
tracking:     stable
refresh-date: yesterday at 16:29 EST
channels:                               
  stable:    1.2.32.1       (1893) 78MB -
  candidate: 1.2.0-rcgit.17 (67)   65MB -
  beta:      ↑                          
  edge:      1.2.32.1       (1899) 78MB -
installed:   1.2.32.1       (1893) 78MB -

You can see that it was refreshed yesterday. Remmina continues to run after startup like a daemon and keeps an icon in the tray. Remmina was definitely running during this snap refresh. Today I went to open a connection and got an issue accepting the host key. I could press the accept button, but then I just got an error. It seems like it can’t read my known hosts file anymore and it cannot save the known hosts file either. So I exited remmina and tried to snap run remmina and I’m back to the same error as before:

You need to connect this snap to the gnome platform snap.

You can do this with those commands:
snap install gnome-3-26-1604
snap connect remmina:gnome-3-26-1604 gnome-3-26-1604

(the '3-26-1604' number defines the platform version and might change)

I think it has to do with permissions. I can sudo snap revert remmina and get back to a working state as well as then sudo snap refresh remmina and get to the new version. When I run these however, fontconfig runs into some issue and all of the text characters show up as boxes. A restart of the system seems to fix that.