Trolling & Hacking

I keep getting " Your post was flagged as spam : the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.
Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.
However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.".

Response from Forum Admin when I complained about this was “anyone with a valid user account can flag other peoples posts, i’m not sure why or who did this but there would definitely be no need for anyone to hack the site for this”.
How about stopping this flagging? This is obviously a Troll/Hacking activity. How about identifying the culprit(s) and expelling them from the site and attempting to stop them rejoining under a different username?

When a new user registers and then very quickly creates a post containing links, it gets flagged for admin attention as the behaviour is typical of automated link spamming.

As you become a more established user the forum software will notice and allow you to post links without flagging or holding your posts.

For the record your posts had links to snapcraft.io which should be allowed, this was the forum software being extra cautious with posts containing links.

In the end both of your posts were approved, right? This means that even if a moderator mistakenly confirmed the spam flag, it was later reverted and your content was approved.

There is no conspiracy, trolling, hacking or evil AI at play here (just some rudimentary and somewhat over-reacting heuristics).

• Daniel
3 Likes

You have just admitted that the forum software flagged my posts which contradicts the email that I received stating “Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden”.
So which is correct?

Seriously, it only takes a minute to find out that it’s a canned response sent out by discourse if your post is flagged by spam filters:

https://discourse.jupyter.org/t/spam-filters-too-aggressive/70/4
https://discourse.diasporafoundation.org/t/discourse-sent-a-message-that-my-question-was-a-spam/2618

1 Like