Tracks 18 & 20 request for nitrogen-gadget & nitrogen-kernel

Dear @reviewers,
I would like to request the 18 and 20 tracks for the nitrogen-gadget and nitrogen-kernel snaps. so that I can maintain both versions, especially since gadget 18 & 20 versions really aren’t compatible.
Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Having tracks named after core revisions is a common pattern which is used when the snaps are for some reason dependent on features of a specific core version and cannot, for example, specify a different core in base:. Assuming that is the case with yours, +1 from me as reviewer to grant these two tracks.

We’ll allow a few days for other reviewers to comment, then I’ll review and ideally grant the tracks.

• Daniel

• Daniel

@gbisson Can you please comment on @roadmr’s question above re the need for these track names in respect to the corresponding core snaps?

Hi,

Thanks for reviewing @alexmurray and @roadmr, indeed the nitrogen-gadget snap has a “base:” argument as you can see here:

However the nitrogen-kernel snap doesn’t, maybe I could do without the tracks BUT since it’s the kernel, I believe it would still be best to be able to keep the same version it was released with for the long term support. For instance, we’re currently using 5.4 kernel but are going to switch to the 5.10 kernel in the coming months, not sure how core16 or core18 will like this (different rules/apparmor version etc). If Canonical ensures previous core versions will work with newer Linux kernel I’m ok skipping the tracks.

Regards,
Gary

FYI, seems like the pi-kernel is having 18/20 tracks:

You can see that each track uses a different version of the kernel, maybe for the reasons above. But I doubt the kernel yaml has a “base:” argument.

Regards,
Gary

Hi,
Actually I confirm the tracks for the kernel are needed due to initrd changes.
UC20 requires core20 initrd version:

Let me know if you need anything else for those tracks.
Regards,
Gary

thanks for the details. If any of the other @reviewers gives a +1 I can create these tracks :wink:

• Daniel

Just to confirm that at this time UC20 kernel snaps are not compatible with Ubuntu Core 18 and vice versa, so having tracks like this is indeed necessary.

(although I’m not a reviewer, just to verify what @gbisson said before)

+1 from me for the creation of these tracks.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, both tracks for both snaps have been created. Enjoy!

• Daniel
1 Like

Thank you all! Right on time, I just finished my core20 upgrade for the kernel, ready to release!