Track request: v6 for Postman

Hello

I would like to request for creation of track v6 for the Postman snap. We will be actively maintaining two separate release lines: v6 and latest.

Documentation: https://learning.getpostman.com/docs/postman_pro/managing_postman_pro/migrating_to_v7

Also, is there a way we can automatically migrate our existing users from latest/stable to v6/stable?

Regards
Harendra
Product Engineer
Postman, Inc

Hello!

The stated use case seems like a good fit for tracks, +1 from me.

I have no problem with “v6” as a track name, but the usual pattern is to use just the number (6 in this case). As said, if you are sure you want “v6” that’s what I’ll create.

Since postman doesn’t have existing tracks, we do need to allow for comments from other reviewers for which we’ll do a 7-day waiting period per standard procedure. Thanks for your patience!

Unfortunately, not that I know of. Choosing a track is a conscious decision by the user, by design. One thing you could do is have the application you currently have on latest show a banner on startup asking users to manually switch to the v6 track.

• Daniel
1 Like

Thanks @roadmr!

if you are sure you want “v6” that’s what I’ll create.

Yes, we would like to call it v6.

Harendra

@reviewers, could some of you please chime in on this request?

Thanks!

• Daniel

+1 from me - sounds like textbook track usage

IMHO it is up to publishers to choose track names which make most sense to their users etc (even if they are named differently than other snaps which make use of tracks) - so if Postman want v6 rather than just 6 etc this is up to them so +1 from me too.

1 Like

Hello!

I’ve created the v6 track for Postman, since we did gather enough votes from reviewers.

• Daniel
1 Like

Thanks @roadmr! :slight_smile:

Hello @roadmr

We just noticed that on Ubuntu software center, the listing for Postman does not show the default track (latest/stable) but this track that was created (v6/stable)

I couldn’t find any setting to change this to latest/stable

Here’s another screenshot, showing that I can’t switch to the latest track

On the other hand, the snapcraft page correctly shows the right version

Also, this doesn’t look like a specific issue with Postman snap. I tried checking for other snap apps that have a custom track. I found the same issue with skype. It shows insiders/stable instead of latest/stable

@Lukewh the above sounds like it could use a look from you?

• Daniel

Actually sounds like @robert.ancell should take a look. Seems like Software Center is defaulting to the most recently updated track. I’ll help out where I can though :)!

OHH sorry I just saw a shiny UI and thought “oo, shiny, it’s Luke’s work” :slight_smile:

I’ve confirmed the problem here. snapd is returning valid data so it looks like an issue in the GUI. I’m investigating…

This is being caused by a bug in a library that gnome-software is using (json-glib) - that’s causing snapd-glib to fail to decode the track information correctly. We’ll fix that, thanks!

And also a bug in the 18.04 version of gnome-software that needs updating due to a behaviour change in snapd. I’ve uploaded a SRU to fix that, so the change should land in a couple of weeks.