Track request: turtlebot3c melodic / noetic

Hi,

I’d like to request for two tracks, melodic and noetic for the snap turtlebot3c which I own. The former is the currently released version which will go end-of-life later this year while the former is a new stable version which we’d like to release soon. We’d then use latest for on-going development.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have three questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s turtlebot3c’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is melodic still supported with security updates? will it continue to be supported now that noetic is out, and for how long?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? meaning, if I was running melodic and try to install noetic, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks!

• Daniel

Hi @roadmr,

To answer your questions,

1. We’d follow the release cadence of ROS LTS which itself is aligned on Ubuntu. So at most a new major/track every two years.
  2. I can’t say for sure if upstream is planning any kind of support past eol, I doubt it. However we may have plan to do so ourselves (no guarantee so far). Plus we do have users that may want to stick with melodic.
  3. New versions aren’t backwards-compatible and may indeed break horribly since this application possibly communicates with others, outside the snap, through API that can change from one version to the next.

Let me know if you need further details.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info! I’m +1 to creating these tracks. I’ve created them already based on precedent from some other ros snaps, the use case seems well-understood and matches tracks pretty well.

• Daniel
1 Like

Thank you :+1: :+1: .

+1 from me too fwiw - these seem quite logical given the nature of ros.