Track request named 'innovation' for 'mysql-strict'

Greetings,

I would like to request a track called “innovation” for the “mysql-strict” snap.

If this is relevant: As per the MySQL Release Cadence, in-place upgrades from “latest/stable” (or upstream LTS for this snap) to the “innovation/stable” track would be fully supported, whereas in-place downgrading wouldn’t be so.

Thanks,

DownThePark

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the release cadence post; I believe it addresses all the questions we had. Therefore, I’m +1 on creating a new track for the mysql-strict snap but let’s see what the other @reviewers have to say.

As per the process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

Thanks,

Odysseus

Hi,

On a second thought, I was thinking to just use ‘latest/stable’ for the ‘innovation’ release of MySQL, and a separate ‘8.0’ track for the current LTS release of MySQL for simplicity.

Basically, the goal would be for the ‘8.0’ track to be the default track for new installations (similar to how a versioned track is the default track in the Vault snap), while ‘latest/stable’ would always target the very latest MySQL release.

So in summary:

• 8.0 (the new track request) = default track for new installations
  • latest/stable = always targets the latest MySQL release, which anyone can switch over to (but not back due to compatibility issues).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

DownThePark

Hi,

So basically, in this scenario, latest will always target the latest, non LTS, release of MySQL and you’ll be using a new track starting from 8.0 (i.e. 8.0, 9.0 etc) for every new LTS release.

Also, IIUC, the versions released on these new tracks will be backwards-incompatible with latest; in the sense that the user won’t be able to freely switch between those two without things breaking.

Let me know if I’ve missed something but otherwise this sounds reasonable to me and I can proceed with creating 8.0 and making it the default one.

Thanks,

Odysseus

Yep, you’re a 100% spot on.

Hi,

This is now done.

Thanks,

Odysseus

Awesome! I appreciate your time @odysseus-k