Track request for osmclient snap

Hi there,

We’d like to start using tracks for the osmclient snap. We intend to use versioned tracks, so we’d like two created initially:

Thanks!

Hi,

Are 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 backwards-incompatible? (if so, odd that they are just a patch version apart but hey - I’m just asking :slight_smile: ).

Would users have a reason to prefer 7.0.0 once 7.0.1 is out?

Does osmclient have a release schedule, cadence, and statement about compatibility (or lack thereof) between versions? (Happy to read existing documentation if you have it).

Cheers,

• Daniel

In theory, they should be backwards compatible but it’s not guaranteed. We’re offering LTS for each release and may have clients on a specific version, so it seemed safest to go with a track per point release.

Major versions are released every six months; minor versions are sporadic. 7.0.1 was released two months after 7.0.0, and 7.0.2 might come one month after.

If it’s complicated, I’m happy starting with a 7.0 track instead and we can re-evaluate the need for minor version tracks down the road if we actually run into an issue.

Thanks!

Hello,

It’s not complicated, but due to the nature of tracks (easily discoverable == easy to choose the wrong track if the difference is not very obvious, and there’s no fallback mechanism - so people on 7.0.1 will NOT auto-upgrade to 7.0.2 and so on, an issue of release granularity) means I typically prefer making requesters very aware of these characteristics before committing to a given track scheme.

The major version release schedule looks reasonable, and the minor schedule does NOT look unreasonable time-wise, but it’s more about backward-compatibility and leaving users stranded. i.e. would you backport 7.0.2 fixes into 7.0.1 to avoid leaving 7.0.1 users stranded? :slight_smile:

Ultimately it’s up to you, if 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 are what you need that’s what we’d create. I’m generally +1 on this request but per the process we’ll need to allow a few days for other reviewers to chime in, which also gives you time to decide whether you need the patch-level tracks or can do with e.g. minor release or something else.

• Daniel

Hey,

We’ve discussed it internally and would like to move forward with a track for the major release only, i.e., 7.0.

Thanks again!
-Adam

@reviewers could anyone else chime in on this request? (track 7.0).

• Daniel

Thanks for taking the time to discuss and evaluate the original request.

+1 from me for a 7.0.

wow thanks for the fast reply :slight_smile: With +2 votes and after the waiting period, I have created the 7.0 track.

Enjoy!

• Daniel

Also a :+1: from me.