Track request for cqlsh 5.x

Hi,

Cassandra 4 released cqlsh 6.0.0 (see cqlsh pip) with support for Python 3 and several other breaking changes, such as server-side DESCRIBE statements no longer being handled by the client side (see CASSANDRA-14825 and CASSANDRA-8005). For example:

$ cqlsh
Connected to Test Cluster at 127.0.0.1:9042
[cqlsh 6.0.0 | Cassandra 3.11.13 | CQL spec 3.4.4 | Native protocol v4]
Use HELP for help.
cqlsh> DESCRIBE TABLES 
WARN: DESCRIBE|DESC was moved to server side in Cassandra 4.0. As a consequence DESRIBE|DESC will not work in cqlsh '6.0.0' connected to Cassandra '3.11.13', the version that you are connected to. DESCRIBE does not exist server side prior Cassandra 4.0.
cqlsh>

Thus, I’d like to publish the snap version 5.0.5 to the 5.x track, for those still using Cassandra 3; with 6.0.0 and newer going to the default latest track.

Can I have the 5.x track created please? (There’s no point in separate 5.0, 5.1, etc tracks as development has already moved to 6.x)

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Cqlsh has no existing tracks, so per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks , we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I usually ask three questions about software requiring tracks, but in the case of cqlsh I think I’m familiar enough with the requirements, so I’m +1 on granting this track.

• Daniel