Test snap on different ubuntu releases

Hi.
Is it possible to test a snap on all the distros from 16.04 to 18.04?
I was thinking of using lxd/docker, but it would be nice to test it automatically.
What I’d like the test to do is:
open an image of all the distros, run snapcraft cleanbuild, install the snap and run a command.
Is there an existing way to do this?

EDIT: At the moment the snap is built on launchpad with a pull from github. Should I switch it to build.snapcraft.io?

The goal of snaps is that you shouldn’t need to test on lots of distros, of course. However, sometimes things break. I don’t know of any automated systems to test snaps on various systems. Personally I have a bunch of VMs and often spin snaps up in various Ubuntu (and non-Ubuntu) systems.

The snap in question is the classic ubuntu-make snap.
There was an issue a while back with the snap failing to start on a non 16.04 release.
Now I tested locally with a change and it works on my 18.04…
But being a classic snap it would be nice to see, and avoid other things breaking…
I’ll check on VMs locally… thanks!

The snap works on 16.04 and 18.04, but not 17.10.
The issue is with apt:
usr/lib/apt/methods/http: relocation error: /snap/core/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: symbol __libc_dl_error_tsd, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I’m not sure why it fails with 17.10 but not 18.04

Unfortunately that’s a nice theory but it’s not quite there yet. I got recently contacted by a Solus user because two of my snaps (Omega-T and GNUCash) didn’t work as expected on his distro and it took some testing and debugging to fix them. So I would really welcome some kind of testing program where users across various distros could volunteer to test packages and report bugs in a semi-automated fashion.

1 Like

@Wimpress I see that the software-boutique is now a snap.
Does it still use python3-apt? If so, is it working on 18.04 only or previous releases as well?
It might point me in the right direction…