Tale's of Maj'eyal Chromebook

New to snap and am having issues getting the tales of maj’eyal running. I keep having the same error. This is on a Chromebook running the most recent version 80 and with all the apt updates and upgrades that I can think of done. I would love to get this working since it is a great game but can’t find any published fixes anywhere.

root@penguin:/home/kresslin# sudo snap run talesofmajeyal
realpath: ‘’: No such file or directory
WebCore config: library(/snap/talesofmajeyal/46/libte4-web.so) spawn(/snap/talesofmajeyal/46/cef3spawn)
Loading WebCore: Failed loading /snap/talesofmajeyal/46/libte4-web.so: /snap/talesofmajeyal/46/libte4-web.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[CPU] Detected 2 CPUs
OpenAL device available: OpenAL Soft (default OpenAL Soft)
No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend “pulse”
ALSA lib conf.c:3750:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device ‘default’: No such file or directory
Available video driver: x11
Available video driver: mir
Available video driver: wayland
Available video driver: dummy
No protocol specified
Error initializing SDL video: Failed to connect to the Mir Server

1 Like

Hi @Kresslin. Thanks for the feedback. I created the ToM snap. I’d like to get this working for you, albeit I don’t know if I will be able to do so.

Firstly, you say you’re running this on a ChromeBook. What operating system are you running, and how did you install it? Is it running on intel/amd or ARM?

You appear to be running as root, and trying to start the snap with sudo. Is there any reason for this? I’m not sure the snap confinement would support that.

What graphical environment is running? Is it running over X11 or Wayland?

What version of snap/snapd is running? Is it fully supported on your computer and operating system?

Can you run any other games from snaps on your machine?

Hi @mcphail I am running on a Acer R11 chromebook with the latest chrome 80 release. The sudo was that particlular attempt when I copied the error. I have tried running it not as root and get the same error.
As for linux it is Wayland and the environment is:
Linux 4.19.87-07826-g55ab70aff690 x86_64
PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)”
It is AMD
Snap/snapd versions are 2.43.3
series 16

As for other games no I have not had any luck but only tried on lonewolf. I can get VLC running and hello world as well.

Sorry for the late reply it has been challenging to find time right now here in CA with the health care issues going on.

I did get the gnome desktop and software center installed and working correctly to see if that would help in anyway and it still has the same issue.

Thanks of the assistance. I have a feeling though that with the way the chromebook is set up it might be a lost cause at this point. Would it be worth trying the .tar.bz2 on the website?

I got Cataclysm DDA working by installing with a tar on this machine.

Stephan

I decided to try a quick game install and run while I had a moment and this is what occured:

stephan@penguin:~$ snap run boa

Game directory doesn’t exist

Creating directory

GZDoom g3.5pre-117-g7817e6a - 2018-07-14 13:05:49 +0200 - SDL version

Compiled on Oct 16 2019

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.

W_Init: Init WADfiles.

adding gzdoom.pk3, 626 lumps

adding zd_extra.pk3, 132 lumps

adding /snap/boa/196/wolf_boa.pk3, 14294 lumps

I_Init: Setting up machine state.

CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel

Family 6, Model 76, Stepping 4

Features: SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 HyperThreading

I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL

No protocol specified

No protocol specified

Opened device Intel 82801AA-ICH

EFX enabled

V_Init: allocate screen.

S_Init: Setting up sound.

ST_Init: Init startup screen.

Checking cmd-line parameters…

S_InitData: Load sound definitions.

G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.

Texman.Init: Init texture manager.

ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/menus/iconlistmenu.txt, line 100: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/menus/iconlistmenu.txt, line 297: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/menus/iconlistmenu.txt, line 328: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/menus/iconlistmenu.txt, line 367: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/menus/iconlistmenu.txt, line 403: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/actors/enemies/base.txt, line 267: Default values for parameter of virtual override will be ignored!

6 warnings while compiling wolf_boa.pk3:scripts/actors/items/money.txt

Script warning, “wolf_boa.pk3:actors/models.txt” line 2593:

Tried to define class ‘SpotLight’ more than once. Renaming class to ‘SpotLight@wolf_boa.pk3@actors/models.txt’

script parsing took 3706.75 ms

R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.

Make colormap

DecalLibrary: Load decals.

M_Init: Init menus.

No protocol specified

P_Init: Init Playloop state.

ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.

a Realm667 project

D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.

player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)

No protocol specified

No protocol specified

** (gzdoom:1595): WARNING **: Could not open X display

*** Fatal Error ***

Address not mapped to object (signal 11)

Address: (nil)

!!! Could not create gzdoom-crash.log following signal

/snap/boa/196/launcher: line 16: 1595 Segmentation fault ${SNAP}/bin/gzdoom -iwad ${SNAP}/wolf_boa.pk3 -config ${GAMEDIR}/boa.conf -savedir ${GAMEDIR}

Heh - boa is one of mine too, so whatever I’ve messed up in ToM I’ll have messed up in boa as well :slight_smile:

I’m in the same situation as you; until this virus situation plays out I’ll be stuck at the day job but I’ll explore running on Wayland if I get the chance.