System reboot from within a strictly confined snap

I’m trying to add system reboot capability to my snap. The relevant portions of my snapcraft.yaml:

apps:
  backend:
    plugs:
      - shutdown
backend:
  stage-packages:
      - systemd
      - systemd-sysv

snap interfaces mirros-one shows everything is set up correctly:

:shutdown                mirros-one

However, when I run snap run --shell mirros-one.backend and then inside the snap shell shutdown -r now "my message", I get the following error:

Failed to start reboot.target: Access denied
See system logs and 'systemctl status reboot.target' for details.

The backend service issues the exact same command. I’m assuming the snap run --shell mirros-one.backend environment has the same privileges?

I checked that systemd package indeed provides reboot.target:

user@host:~$ dpkg -S reboot.target
systemd: /lib/systemd/system/reboot.target

… and that it is present in my snap:

user@host:~$ ls /snap/mirros-one/current/lib/systemd/system | grep reboot
reboot.service
reboot.target
reboot.target.wants
systemd-reboot.service

I feel like I’m missing something obvious, any hints are very much appreciated :slight_smile:

I think

is the gist of it

here is an example snap that i use for some automated/unattended appliance setup:

take a look at the “netplan-import” script at line 41/42

1 Like

Will this work on a Ubuntu Desktop snap, or only in a CORE snap? I am having permissions errors as well with my snap on desktop. Yes the manual plug for shutdown is added, and when you run the app with $sudo snap run --shell snap_name.app … it works and it reboots, but not if it auto starts up with the snap system util.

The systemd D-Bus interface for shutdown/reboot should be available on all systems snapd is available on, including classic Linux systems.

What is the error you’re seeing?