Start another application and access ioio ports from a snap application with strict confinement

Hello!

I built two applications using snapcraft(say snap1 and snap2) with confinement as devmode. snap1 is a simple daemon application which starts snap2(not a daemon) and both work normally. I’m developing for Dell Edge Gateway device with Ubuntu core-16 on it.

Now for security purpose I have to change the confinement of both these snaps to strict confinement and build again. But after this modification,

1. snap1 is unable to start snap2.
  2. snap2 is unable to open port or read data from serial-port-ioioix

However I’m able to access network via the applications after the following changes. I have done following changes for snap1 and snap2 in their respective yaml files: 1. snap1.yaml name: snap1 _ version: ‘0.8’ summary: This is a snap1 description: | _ Some description.

grade: stable #devel # must be ‘stable’ to release into candidate/stable channels confinement: strict #devmode # use ‘strict’ once you have the right plugs and slots

apps: _ snap1:_ _ command: bin/snap1_ _ plugs:_ _ - network_ _ - network-bind_ _ - home_ _ - removable-media_ _ - shutdown_ _ - snapd-control_ _ - daemon-notify_ _ - system-trace_ _ - timezone-control_ _ daemon: simple_

parts: _ snap1-app:_ _ plugin: cmake_ _ configflags:_ _ - -DAPPVERSION=0.8_ _ # build-packages: [libssl-dev]_ _ # stage-packages: [libssl-dev]_ _ source: ._

2. snap1.yaml name: snap2 version: ‘1.0.7’ _ summary: This is a snap2 description: | _ Some description.

grade: stable #devel # must be ‘stable’ to release into candidate/stable channels confinement: strict #devmode # use ‘strict’ once you have the right plugs and slots

apps: _ snap2:_ _ command: bin/snap2_ _ plugs:_ _ - network_ _ - network-bind_ _ - home_ _ - removable-media_ _ - serial-port_ _ - raw-usb_ _ - io-ports-control_ _ - gpio_

parts: _ snap2-app:_ _ plugin: cmake_ _ configflags:_ _ - -DBUILDFROMSNAP=TRUE_ _ - -DAPPVERSION=1.0.7_ _ source: ._

Please let me know if any other change is to be done.

– Thanks in advance… :):+1:

A snap cannot manage another snaps services except by using the snapd REST API, which requires the snapd-control interface.

Additionally, snaps cannot run other snap’s apps at all. If you need your snaps to interact with each other, you should have your daemon application listen on a unix or network socket and have the client application send messages to the other snap that way. Alternatively you could hypothetically have them communicate over D-Bus.

When you say that snap2 is not able to access serial port from serial-port-ioioix, is serial-port-ioioix another snap or is that the name of a serial port? You should be able to access serial ports by declaring the serial-port interface in your snap app or daemon under plugs in the snapcraft.yaml. Then connect the interface plug from your snap to an serial-port interface slot exposed either by your gadget or exposed through the hotplug system as documented at https://snapcraft.io/docs/hotplug-support.