Star developer request for James-Carroll

Hello world! I thought I’d try my hand for applying for the new starred developer status, having been a participant in the community for over 3 years now.

I’d hope a lot of people on these forums will recognise me, as I’ll fairly often provide opinions/advice and sometimes investigations around the snap ecosystem. A nice recent example would be finding out why the XDG Desktop Portals don’t work in KeepassXC, but there’s of course a lot more instances of helping people with syntax, functionality, general design principals & etc; that are all important too!

In terms of my own snaps, I’ve currently a small (8) but sweet collection of snaps that I think strike a balance of utility and maintainability. such that I can realistically support them long term, and often I’ll try integrate/monitor their respective communities so that I can keep in the loop with developments both for the application and feedback on the snaps themselves.

Some snap examples:

Pinta, a simple image editor, where alongisde the Flatpak, Snap/Flatpak are now considered the de-facto Linux packaging (Download Page), and some other Pinta specific contributions such as e.g Wayland Screenshot support

Joplin, a markdown note-taking application where I’ll be frequently found responding to snap related discussion on their own forums and enjoys a fair amount of active users.

ROOT, a high performance computing framework where I’ve found a good use-case for snaps with regard to singular workstations & education, you’ll often find me on their forums too, and they’d allowed me to publish an announcement celebrating the snap, and recently I did a small talk on it internally. Abstract 64 / page 16

There’s a few others, and hopefully more in the future, assuming I can find the right packages to contribute.

Ultimately, I see being active in this community as a hobby that helps give me some long term structure/routine to focus on, and I hope the community appreciates the fruits of the labour at the end, so I should hopefully be sticking around here for a lot more years!

Thanks for your consideration!

James

13 Likes

Its nice seeing people so committed to the project despite all the negativity out there. Wish you all the best for your bid :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am +1 for @James-Carroll

1 Like

+1 from me - @James-Carroll has been quite active both here in the forums and outside advocating for snaps plus has published a number of quite popular snaps as well.

1 Like

Thank you for your application and for all the positive contributions you have made in the community! You are now a star developer! :star:

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments everyone, I’m happy to wear my (slightly more orange) :star: with pride :slight_smile:

1 Like