[SOLVED] Love-snap-template help for game

Hello everyone,

I am trying to pack a game here as a snap to make it available on Ubuntu. The game is still in development.

I cloned Popey’s love2d template and just modified to suit my game in it’s snap folder .But once I do a snapcraft push on the generated snap, I get an error:

snapcraft push codenamelt_1.0.5_amd64.snap 
Pushing codenamelt_1.0.5_amd64.snap
Preparing to push '/home/USERNAME/git/CodenameLT/dist/snap-template/snap/codenamelt_1.0.5_amd64.snap' to the store.
Pushing codenamelt_1.0.5_amd64.snap [=====================================] 100%
Processing...|                                                                  
Will need manual review...
The Store automatic review failed.
A human will soon review your snap, but if you can't wait please write in the snapcraft forum asking for the manual review explicitly.
If you need to disable confinement, please consider using devmode, but note that devmode revision will only be allowed to be released in edge and beta channels.
Please check the errors and some hints below:
0  - desktop interfaces (x11) specified without a corresponding meta/gui/*.desktop file. If using snapcraft, please see https://snapcraft.io/docs/build-snaps/metadata#fixed-assets. Otherwise, please provide a desktop file in meta/gui/*.desktop (it should reference one of the 'apps' from your snapcraft/snap.yaml).

The thing is a desktop file is in the folder. I thought it was case first, but I tried both CodenameLT.desktop and codenamelt.desktop and they didn’t work. :confused:

I know the game isn’t much, but I am validating the possibility of distributing things across stores.

looking at your snapcraft.yaml you have:

name: codenamelt
apps:
  lovegame:

so your desktop file should be called lovegame.desktop …

In apps, I rewrote lovegame to be codenamelt, did the same for the parts lovegame to be codenamelt, renamed the folder from lovegame (containing CodenameLT.love) to be codenamelt, renamed the desktop files to be codenamelt.desktop. repo here

Still, installing with snap install --devmode codenamelt_1.0.5_amd64.snap, I don’t see any icons appear in Unity and the Ubuntu Software app shows a box in codenamelt instead of the icon :frowning:

(I haven’t tried to push the app again, until I can see an icon!)

Edit: Looking into folder prime/meta/gui, it’s empty. Looking throught google, the only reference to empty in there is this chat log somewhere. :confused:

IIRC the png needs to be named icon.png (unless you explicitly define an icon name in the apps block in snapcraft.yaml)

and you want to rename “meta/gui” to “snap/gui” in your source tree (meta/gui will definitely not work, and the former “setup/gui” has been renamed a while ago, see https://docs.snapcraft.io/deprecation-notices/dn3)

OMG IT WORKED!

You can try with :

snap install codenamelt

I know this is a small little Global Game Jam game, but I am so happy of being able to have this so easily installable in Ubuntu! :joy:

@ogra THANK YOU SO MUCH

(now I need to findout how to show icons here Snap search results for 'CodenameLT' — Linux software in the Snap Store edit: did it through the dashboar :smiley: )

1 Like