I wonder if I might ping on what the status (and blockers, if any) are here, as I haven’t seen this issue in the roadmaps for upcoming snapcraft versions. I have a quite concrete case for a snapcraft plugin that I intend to submit, where the ideal would be able to allow the user to specify choices of compiler (and compiler version) to use with that plugin, with the snap being downloaded from the corresponding channel.
The main thing that needs to get done is to have support on CI, if not many people wanting to use this will later feel blocked by that. If we get buildd’s (launchpad builders) working with snaps, then can add the functionality to snapcraft.
We’ve agreed to move forward with that sort of relationship in the recent sprint we had. The most likely approach we’ll use to begin with is to bundle the snap and its respective assertions inside a respective deb, so that installing the deb is guaranteed to hold the intended functionality after installation.
@slangasek, can you provide some more details about how this is going, and whether Joseph might be able to help moving that forward?
This is solving a different problem. See discussion below.
Hi all – belated thanks for all the advice, thoughts and feedback here. I don’t know if/when I’ll really have a moment to make a contribution here, but if I do get the free time, it’s good to know where to start work