Snapping GNU Archimedes

I would like to install GNU Archimedes. The source is available, but on my machine I stumbled upon some compiling errors. I am sure the Snap team would easily overcome them.

I took a look, and this seems somewhat abandoned. I also couldn’t get it built. I did find a fork on github which is both more up to date, and does build successfully.

The build failure of GNU Archimedes seems known online but I’ve not seen any solutions. I wonder if the fork has the solution somewhere, which might make it possible to build the upstream project on a modern system.

Is the fork any use to you?

The fork gives same errors. I will try to contact also jmarini .

It builds fine in Ubuntu 18.04 here. This is the snapcraft.yaml I made.

name: archimedes
base: core18 # the base snap is the execution environment for this snap
version: '2.0.1' # just for humans, typically '1.2+git' or '1.3.2'
summary: Archimedes semiconductor device simulator
description: |
  Archimedes is the GNU package for semiconductor device simulations that has been released for the first time on 2005 under GPL. It has been created by Jean Michel Sellier who is, since then, the leader of the project and the main developer. It is a Free software and thus it can be copied, modified and redistributed under GPL. This is the one of the big advantages of using Archimedes.
  Archimedes belongs to the well-known family of TCAD software, i.e. tools utilized to assist the development of technologically relevant products. In particular, this package assists engineers in designing and simulating submicron and mesoscopic semiconductor devices. In a next-future version Archimedes will also be able to simulate nanodevices, using the Wigner formalism. Today Archimedes is used in several big companies for simulation and production purposes.
  Archimedes is also useful for teaching purposes since everybody can access the sources, modify and test them. Today, it is used for teaching courses in several hundreds universities all around the world. Furthermore, a simplified version, developed for students, is available on nanoHUB.org.

grade: stable
confinement: strict

parts:
  archimedes:
    plugin: autotools
    source: https://github.com/jmarini/archimedes-nitrides.git
    build-packages:
      - g++
apps:
  archimedes:
    command: archimedes
    plugs:
      - home
      - removable-media

Great! What’s the next step?

I guess we need to figure out if the newer project is appropriate to be seen as archimedes “next gen” or whatever? If it works then I’m happy to publish it. If you want to test the one I just made, I chucked it on my personal web space at https://popey.com/~alan/archimedes_2.0.1_amd64.snap - grab it and then snap install archimedes_2.0.1_amd64.snap --dangerous and then run snap run archimedes and see if it does what you want. I don’t know this software at all :smiley:

Thanks! The program launched, I guess it can be included in Snap repository.
It simulates a semiconductor structure, defined by the input file.

(all errors solved, it was a deprecated gtk3 library in my system)