Snapd is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture

I just got a Pinebook and I installed Manjaro on it, next obvious step is to install some snaps.
I followed the instructions for how to install snapd on Manjaro, but it says “snapd is not available for the ‘aarch64’ architecture”.
I’ve been informed that there are aarch64 builds of snapd but it seems it’s not available for Manjaro.

Thanks for the report. There are indeed arm64 builds of snapd available in the store, and we have some other arm64 snaps in the store.

I wonder if it’s a naming problem as your system identifies as aarch64 and not arm64?

Hello.

Snapd is supported on x86, x86_64, arm (v7) and aarch64, amongst other architectures. I’m not an expert on Manjaro but I can assure you that snapd works on 64bit version of arm just fine. It is perhaps a packaging issue at most, that causes this.

CC @mborzecki

1 Like

Arch (the distro) officially support x86_64 only, hence the PKGBUILDs should use x86_64 or any. When building with makepkg you can pass --ignorearch and it will build the package. Having said that, AUR is used by other distros and by ports of Arch to other (or obsolete) architectures.

I got asked by someone using Arch Linux 32 to add i686. Since they were able to build and confirm that snapd works on their distro, i686 got added.

There have been no requests for armv7h or aarch64 yet. I now pushed the change to AUR to enable those. Still, it would be nice to get some feedback as to whether package builds/works correctly or not.

2 Likes