Snapctl health --help considered lacklustre

$ snapctl --help
Usage:
  snapctl [OPTIONS] <command>

Help Options:
  -h, --help  Show this help message

Available commands:
  get           The get command prints configuration and interface connection settings.
  is-connected  Return success if the given plug or slot is connected, and failure otherwise
  restart       Restart services
  services      Query the status of services
  set           Changes configuration options
  set-health    Report the health status of a snap
  start         Start services
  stop          Stop services
  unset         Remove configuration options
  1. Help for get doesn’t need to repeat that it’s the get command. Suggestion: “Get configuration and interface connection settings”.
  2. Order is nonsensical get, set and unset should be next to each other, as should start, restart and stop - could even consider subsections for “Service management” and “Configuration”.
  3. get explanation is a sentence (ends with a .) the others don’t.
  4. set-health says it’s to “Report” the health status, but it’s not clear if that’s reporting to me (i.e. echoing to stdout) or elsewhere.
3 Likes

Indeed, that needs some love, but at the same time it looks like just a few of them need fixing. get and set are worded unlike the others, and is-connected is just too long.

The order is alphabetical, almost certainly because it’s automatic instead of manual.

About set-health, I don’t share the same confusion. It can’t be just a reading command if its name is set, right?

1 Like