Snapcrafters Reboot

Hi! I’m really at the bottom of the ladder, I just want to say I want to participate & I don’t do any practical utilities because of my capacity. I only snap little games that I create myself.

At the moment I have 4 snap. : Pinball 3D halloween, Grand-Pa clock, Moots game and MathSpace 3D.

Hoping for good continuity!

@RloChoco Would you be interested in perhaps taking a look of one of our maintainer-less snaps? We have a few that need a dedicated maintainer, and maybe you could contribute there?

1 Like

hi!, i have many things to know and understand before that i can help here. i’m winning to have made right snapping, because of all your help here and tutorials ! i need some times please. but I will remember and back to you a moment done.

thank you, and i’m here every day or almost to view posts and known more and more quietly.

i like here !

1 Like

Beginner here, really interested in eventual snaps for podman, buildah and skopeo, so if anyone has been thinking about any of those, we should chat. Once I understand more, I may take a shot at those myself.

1 Like

@rpjday Thanks for the interest! I can invite you to the Snapcrafters TG group if you like, where you can meet the rest of the team. We don’t have these planned yet, so it would be nice to see what we can do about them. Do you know if upstream have shown interest in snapping them? And what’s your overall skills with building snaps?

I just started with Canonical, so I still have a learning curve, but there’s nothing like biting off more than one can chew. There is (via lsm5) a very, very, very, very old and unsupported snap of podman so, effectively, it would be starting from scratch. No idea what upstream thinks, I just want it for myself.

rday

1 Like

/me cries in maintaining GIMP in a snap ;-p

Speaking as a former maintainer of the docker snap, building a podman snap is no easy feat, potentially even more difficult than docker because we were able to take some shortcuts developing the security policy for the docker snap that probably should not be taken for podman because AIUI, podman runs “rootless docker” containers. It would be amazing to have rootless docker containers in snaps but the endeavor presents some complex problems in terms of security policy to be developed for podman.

Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, right?

2 Likes

want to join and test new stuff

@dduran1210 Hey there, can you tell us a bit more about what experience you have snaps and what type of testing you’d like to do?

snapcrafers still have to many outdated snaps. only edge channels of some snaps are updated. The good advantage of snaps is because of security and up-to-date apps. This is not happening

@Alculete Thanks for the message. I’ll raise it with the rest of the team.

I’d like to join snapcrafters to co-maintain some snaps that do not represent my first-party software.

4 Likes

Hey @zyga, nice to hear from you! Sounds great! I can also invite you to our Telegram group, where we often discuss our work.

I +1 Zyga to join us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, happy to. Please use my @zygoon handle there

New here so if you don’t mind I’d like to do more rudimentary testing if possible? Mostly hoping to be a fly on the wall and learn as much as I can and as I get an idea of things start to get into the thick of it

1 Like

By all means. To start with, you can choose any which snap from the snapcrafters list, and then start testing them. It would be great if you can share back what type of testing you had in mind, and maybe your testing idea and methodology can then be expanded.

1 Like

Yay! :grinning: This is awesome! Yay!