Dear members of the snap community,
Today, we’d like to announce a “reboot” of the Snapcrafters community. Let’s call it Snapcrafters TNG
Our aim is to create an effective, collaborative community of developers, contributors and users, who help maintain and build the rich portfolio of snaps under the Snapcrafters umbrella.
We want to make this a fully self-sustainable community effort where Snapcrafters can make things happen.
What do we want to do?
We would like to refine, enhance and improve our processes; how we build Snapcrafters snaps; how we test them; the criteria for inclusion of new snaps; the criteria for inclusion of new members; and much more.
- (Re)establish the Snapcrafters group in a meritocratic way, with community members who have a real ability to get things done.
- Define and refine the build process for Snapcrafters snaps - for instance, the use of automation like GitHub Actions, to reduce repetition and mistakes.
- Define and refine the testing process for Snapcrafters snaps - shipping snaps to tens and hundreds of thousands of users carries great weight and responsibility. We want to make sure that people get stable, robust and secure snaps.
- Document the build and test procedures so other people can join in.
- Anything else that YOU may think would be useful.
Who can apply?
Anyone can apply to be a Snapcrafter. We are aware that people have limited time and opportunity for participation in community projects. Therefore, we do not have a “hard” limit on participation.
However, we want to make sure the process is sustainable and robust. To that end, we would define two levels of participation.
These community individuals are:
- Given write access to repos. To minimize potential mistakes and improve the overall quality of our snaps, we will mandate a 2-person review for any PR, including the repo admins.
- Help build and define the different processes we use in Snapcrafters.
- Meet on a periodic basis with other Snapcrafters to discuss the processes.
- Vet the inclusion of new members to the pool of core members.
Criteria for inclusion for core members
At the moment, we have a preliminary idea on the vetting process for core members (we have to start somewhere). Later on, we intend to refine the process with the rest of Snapcrafters.
- Member of the Snapcraft forum for at least 6 months, and in good standing.
- Active participation in the forum.
- Active maintenance of at least 1 snap in their own name.
- Vouched by one of the admins or other existing Snapcrafters core members.
Overall, regular members can be anyone:
- willing to contribute PR.
- willing to report issues and bugs.
- willing to run tests for new builds or revisions.
- willing to help automate processes.
How can you apply?
Just reply to this thread
Tell us - and the rest of the community - about your snaps, the Snapcrafter snaps you would like to take on (ideally you have familiarity with the snaps in questions), and the different ways of contribution and participation you’d like to be involved in. After that, we’ll be in touch to discuss administrative access and co-ordinate the first Snapcrafters meetings! Woo.
We welcome your participation!
That would be all.