Snapcraft Live Video Suggestions

Over on our YouTube channel, we’ve recently been doing a few ‘Snapcraft Live’ videos. These cover a lot of topics in an hour or more. These are fun to make, and enable people to come along and ask questions while learning new things about snapcraft and snaps.

However, there’s also room for shorter videos, which are easier to consume, and cover one specific topic briefly. I’m planning some of these shorter videos to go along with the longer Snapcraft Live ones.

I’m looking for suggestions on what you think might find interesting to new or even seasoned snapcrafters?

Specifically are there any places you got stuck, or spent a long time working on, which would have been accelerated if you’d had direct access to a snapcraft developer or seasoned community member?

Suggestions welcome!

1 Like

My first thought is that it would be interesting to see some packages being snapped up that requires some of the more complex integrations with the desktop itself — some of the things that might be not quite so forward. Although admittedly that might be something that requires an iterative approach.

Another thing that might be a good topic is some of the best practices that provide a better experience for the end user. For example, I find that some snaps overlook things like having proper icons, etc. you know, think about things that may give people a perception of a rough edge when using a snap package.

And a final thought might be useful to have a video that focuses on a snap that requires some of the workaround methods. Maybe manual steps, Etc. The things that don’t quite fit into just using a stock plugin.

3 Likes

How to package desktop apps with core18 base snap (which doesn’t support desktop remote parts).

2 Likes

Agreed. Migration of snaps to core18 would be good.

4 Likes

@popey Can you enable the community contributed captions & subtitle translations for these videos?

I thought I had, previously, but clearly not! I think I have now. Thanks!

1 Like

How about “meet the team” where each week you introduce someone from the collective snap* teams. Putting people ahead of cold technology and all that?

1 Like

How about “how to make a snap that uses ALSA and JACK” ?

Only because it is (what I think is a common use), storing app configuration (think dotfiles), but also how to deal with users that may be migrating from the non-snap package (and expecting their config to persist). (I’m looking at you personal-files interface). This would be a good “best practices” video, or even to be part of a larger “best practices” video series.

2 Likes

@popey:

Thanks for the all videos on youtube channel. It is very helpful.

I found this pdfeditor software is very useful. I would like to snap it. However, I could not make it due to the limited knowledge to autoconf.

Is it possible to make it as an example to package C/C++ application?

Here are the link:

The following is the snapcraft.yaml file I created

name: pdfedit
base: core18
version: ‘0.1’
summary: A free PDF editor
description: |
PDFedit is a free open source pdf editor and a library for manipulating PDF documents,
released under terms of GNU GPL version 2. It includes PDF manipulating library based
on xpdf, GUI, set of command line tools and a pdf editor.

grade: devel # must be ‘stable’ to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: devmode # use ‘strict’ once you have the right plugs and slots

parts:
pdfedit:
plugin: autotools # (autotools steps: configure, make, make install)
source: .
build-packages:
- libboost-dev
- gcc
- g++
- zlib1g-dev
- libx11-dev
- qtbase5-dev
- libxcb1-dev
- libfreetype6-dev
- git
- libpng-dev