Snapcraft cannot find libraries for stage packages

I was able to build this snap a few days ago under classic confinement, but it didn’t work under other Linux distributions like Fedora and only worked in my KDE Neon desktop based on Ubuntu 22.04. Now, this snap builds and installs totally fine but some of the stage packages I’ve included in the snap does not work even if they’re installed from Ubuntu repos. The problem creating stage packages are whatweb and wkhtmltopdf which are giving errors. The errors can seen from the image below:-

These packages when installed in my KDE Neon desktop from Ubuntu repos work perfectly fine but they don’t work when included in the snap package. I think this is a bug in Snapcraft. Here is my snapcraft.yaml

snapcraft.yaml
name: autorecon
version: '0.0.3'
summary: my summary
base: core22
description: |
  My description.

grade: devel 
confinement: strict 

plugs:
  wordlists:
    interface: system-files
    read:
    - /usr/share/seclists

apps:
  autorecon:
    command: bin/python $SNAP/bin/autorecon
    environment:
      RUBYLIB: '$SNAP/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby:$SNAP/usr/lib/ruby/3.0.0:$SNAP/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ruby/3.0.0:$RUBYLIB'
      JAVA_HOME: "$SNAP/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64"
      PATH: "$SNAP/usr/sbin:$SNAP/usr/bin:$SNAP/sbin:$SNAP/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:$JAVA_HOME/bin"
      GIT_EXEC_PATH: $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/lib/git-core
      GIT_TEMPLATE_DIR: $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/git-core/templates
      GIT_CONFIG_NOSYSTEM: "1"
    plugs:
      - network
      - network-bind
      - home
      - wordlists

# Just another bug in snapcraft
#package-repositories:
#  - type: apt
#    suites: [kali-rolling]
#    components: [main]
#    key-id: 44C6513A8E4FB3D30875F758ED444FF07D8D0BF6
#    url: https://http.kali.org/kali/

parts:
# I wanted the latest sslscan.
  sslscan:
    source: https://github.com/rbsec/sslscan.git
    plugin: nil
    build-packages:
      - build-essential
      - git
      - zlib1g-dev
    override-build: |
      make static
      mkdir -p "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/"
      cp ./sslscan "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/"

#####################################################
### START: PACKAGES NOT AVAILABLE IN UBUNTU REPOS ###
#####################################################

oscanner:
    after: [sslscan]
    source: .
    build-packages:
      - git
    stage-packages:
      - default-jre
      ./oscanner.sh

tnscmd10g:
    after: [oscanner]
    build-packages:
      - wget
    stage-packages:
      - perl
      wget "https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/tnscmd10g/-/raw/kali/master/tnscmd10g" -O $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/tnscmd10g
      chmod +x $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/tnscmd10g

enum4linux:
    after: [tnscmd10g]
    stage-packages:
      - samba
      - smbclient
      - polenum
      - ldap-utils
      git clone https://github.com/CiscoCXSecurity/enum4linux.git $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/enum4linux/
      rm $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/enum4linux/C* $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/enum4linux/*.md
      echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env sh \n\nset -e \n\ncd $SNAP/usr/share/enum4linux/ && exec ./enum4linux.pl "$@"' > $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/enum4linux
      chmod +x $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/enum4linux

###################################################
### END: PACKAGES NOT AVAILABLE IN UBUNTU REPOS ###
###################################################

python:
    after: [enum4linux]
    plugin: autotools
    source: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.10.6/Python-3.10.6.tgz
    autotools-configure-parameters:
      - --enable-optimizations
    build-packages:
      - build-essential
      - gdb
      - lcov
      - pkg-config
      - libbz2-dev
      - libffi-dev
      - libgdbm-dev
      - libgdbm-compat-dev
      - liblzma-dev
      - libncurses5-dev
      - libreadline6-dev
      - libsqlite3-dev
      - libssl-dev
      - lzma
      - lzma-dev
      - tk-dev
      - uuid-dev
      - zlib1g-dev

override-stage: |
      snapcraftctl stage
      [ ! -d "${SNAPCRAFT_STAGE}/bin" ] && mkdir ${SNAPCRAFT_STAGE}/bin
      ln -sf ../usr/local/bin/python3.10 "${SNAPCRAFT_STAGE}/bin/python3.10"

stage-packages:
    - libtcl8.6
    - libtk8.6
    - libxft2
    - libxss1

# Install sipvicious from source. For core20 snaps.
#  sipvicious:
#    after: [python]
#    plugin: python
#    source: https://github.com/enablesecurity/sipvicious.git
#    build-environment:
#      - SNAPCRAFT_PYTHON_INTERPRETER: python3.10
#    override-build: |
#      python3.10 setup.py install

autorecon:
    after: [python]
    plugin: python
    stage-snaps: [feroxbuster/latest/stable]
    stage-packages:
      - dnsrecon
      - redis-tools
      - wkhtmltopdf
      - python3-impacket
      - curl
      - gobuster
      - nbtscan
      - nikto
      - nmap
      - onesixtyone
      - smbclient
      - smbmap
      - snmp
      - whatweb
      - hydra
      - sipvicious          # remove this if you choose to install from source
    organize:
      usr/lib/*-linux-gnu/blas/*: usr/lib/
    source: https://github.com/Tib3rius/Autorecon.git
    build-environment:
      - SNAPCRAFT_PYTHON_INTERPRETER: python3.10
      mkdir -p "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL"/bin
      python3.10 -m pip install --user dephell[full]
      sed -i 's/from m2r/#from m2r/g' /root/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dephell/controllers/_readme.py
      PATH=$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH dephell deps convert --from-path pyproject.toml --from-format poetry --to-path setup.py --to-format setuppy
      snapcraftctl build

It also builds fine for core20 but I still get the same errors. Note, to reproduce the errors run the snap with the following command:-

autorecon 127.0.0.1 -vvv

This will show errors if any when running the app and will provide you with a error file which lists the errors. You need to have a webserver/webapp running on localhost to reproduce those errors. You’ll probably also see hydra failing with errors but that’s normal because you don’t have the necessary wordlist in the required path. Now, I didn’t have the chance to debug all the functionality of my snap because it requires testing of specific servers running specific software and I think I maybe able to produce a few more errors if I had the chance because there is a lot of functionality in my snap.

Also, I’ve been trying to fix those errors for the last day as I was able to fix a few others but finally decided to ask here because my time is important and I’ve a lot of other things to do besides fixing bugs created by other people. Also, I think reporting bugs likes these only improves snapcraft.

P.S:- Great work guys! I totally love Snapcraft. I think I can now build a snap app for just about any program in any programming language out there. Cheers! :+1:

Also, I forgot to include the oscanner.sh file required to install oscanner. Here is the file:-

oscanner.sh
#!/bin/bash

# Prepare setup
git clone https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/oscanner.git

mv ./oscanner "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/"

# Install Oscanner.

echo '#!/bin/bash' > "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/oscanner"
echo 'cd $SNAP/usr/share/oscanner/ && ./oscanner.sh "$@"' >> "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/oscanner"
chmod +x "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/bin/oscanner"

# Cleanup.

cd "$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/usr/share/oscanner"
rm -rf debian/ .git/
rm COPYING *.exe *.bat

Don’t forget to make it executable before running the yaml. Also, I’ve left out a dependency of “Autorecon” that’d have required a lot of time to download.

Just checked and found that every stage package that requires perl is failing. You can check nikto, enum4linux and tnscmd10g.

Classic confinement is tricky because you need to expose the host’s filesystem to the snap, and at the same time prevent the snapped application from using libraries from the host (they may be missing, or be incompatible). We solve this by generating or patching ELF binaries in such a way that it uses libraries bundled with the snap, but automatic patching is not implemented for core22 snaps yet. The edge version will issue warnings for binaries that could use wrong libraries if you use classic confinement. If you create core20 snaps all binaries should be patched as expected.

Your answer looks like spam. As you’re at member level, I think you know something about snapcraft. So, I’d advise to read my yaml carefully.

I am aware that you current yaml is not classic, but since you mentioned that at some point you tried to built it under classic confinement I added this piece of information explaining that classic snaps cannot be created yet for core22 in the same way they were created for core20 and core18, in case someone else tries to do that. Regarding Ruby and Qt plugin problems, sorry, I’m not very familiar with those environments and can’t help you there.