Snapcraft 4.5.1 - cannot pack "/data/prime": mksquashfs call failed: signal: segmentation fault (core dumped)

Since 4.5.1 was released builds of arm64 have been failing with the error below. Builds of amd64 and armhf seem unaffected with the same snapcraft.yaml file.

The snapcraft build file can be found here.

Sorry, an error occurred in Snapcraft:
Failed to create snap, snap command failed:
stdout:

stderr:
error: cannot pack "/data/prime": mksquashfs call failed: signal: segmentation fault (core dumped)

We would appreciate it if you anonymously reported this issue.
No other data than the traceback and the version of snapcraft in use will be sent.
Would you like to send this error data? (Yes/No/Always/View) [no]: 

Is there any way to specify a specific version to workaround this issue? Secondly, where would be the best place to file a bug?

Try filing a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/

Is there not a way to specify the sanp to be built with an older version?

@samwiseg0 “segfault” happens on system or software error. I think this is a system or software error… Try to run in a virtual machine? (If success, it means your running system was broken) (You can also run as 4.5.0, if success, it means software bug) :thinking:

How can I specify the snapcraft version during the build process?

(sorry, I found they deleted early version of snapcraft because I can’t find any of them. But maybe there is a version rollback command in snap.)

that would be

sudo snap revert snapcraft

… for rolling back to the last installed version

sudo snap refresh snapcraft 

… to go forward again (and re-enable auto-refresh)

we use snap pack which should use the snapd provided mksquashfs, if reverting snapcraft still causes issues, try to revert either snapd or core as well.

1 Like

This issue seems to be related to QEMU. After reverting the last QEMU update. The build process works again. This maybe some incompatibility with snapcraft and the latest QEMU version?

- name: Set Up QEMU
        uses: docker/setup-qemu-action@v1
        with:
          image: tonistiigi/binfmt@sha256:df15403e06a03c2f461c1f7938b171fda34a5849eb63a70e2a2109ed5a778bde
1 Like

This would be specifically a snapd issue as snapcraft calls snap pack which internally calls mksquashfs.

Thank you for that information.

I have filed a bug and it has been triaged to snapd.

I’ve added reproduction steps to the description of the bug and marked it as affecting me too :slight_smile:

1 Like