"snap refresh" only shows errors, when there's some success

If you snap refresh and everything goes well, you get some output like this:-

circleci 0.1.1316+c4da7d6 from 'circleci' refreshed
pyradio (edge) 1.3.2 from 'snapcrafters' refreshed
get-iplayer (edge) 3.16 from 'snapcrafters' refreshed
yakyak (edge) 1.5.1 from 'snapcrafters' refreshed
sublime-text (edge) 3176 from 'snapcrafters' refreshed
minetest (edge) 0.4.16-891-g798724e from 'snapcrafters' refreshed

Here is the snap changes from that session.

2030  Done    today at 12:28 BST      today at 12:28 BST      Refresh snaps "yakyak", "sublime-text", "minetest", "get-iplayer", "pyradio", "circleci"

If things go wrong during the refresh you get something like this.

error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "discord" (72) ([start snap-discord-72.mount] failed with exit status 1: Job for snap-discord-72.mount failed.
See "systemctl status snap-discord-72.mount" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
)
- Mount snap "mutt" (74) ([start snap-mutt-74.mount] failed with exit status 1: Job for snap-mutt-74.mount failed.
See "systemctl status snap-mutt-74.mount" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
)

Here’s the snap changes from that second session.

2031  Error   today at 12:44 BST      today at 12:45 BST      Refresh snaps "irccloud-desktop", "steamforwindows", "simplenote", "corsixth", "obs-studio", "tmnationsforever", "atom", "mutt", "ghost-desktop", "mattermost-desktop", "cumulonimbus", "brackets", "gitkraken", "vscode", "discord"

Setting aside the fact that I had some kind of failure with discord and mutt there. The problem I’ve identified is that snap refresh hides all the success when a failure like that occurs. That second refresh actually successfully refreshed a bunch of snaps, but it doesn’t tell me about those, it only tells me about the problematic ones. Surely it should tell me about everything it did, not just the “glass half empty” bit?

Look at all those successful refreshes! Be positive man! Glass half full! 13 updated just fine!

(also, why did those others not update? :slight_smile: )

snap    2.34.3
snapd   2.34.3
series  16
ubuntu  18.04
kernel  4.15.0-29-generic
2 Likes

Yeah. We need to get better at reporting multiple statuseses.