Snap on raspbian missing all interfaces

So I’ve just installed snap on my raspberry pi 3 running raspbian.

sudo apt install snap

However when I try to list the interfaces the list is empty:
snap interfaces
error: no interfaces found

or
sudo snap interfaces
error: no interfaces found

any ideas?

config:
snap --version
snap 2.21-2
snapd 2.21-2
series 16
raspbian 9

uname -a
Linux home 4.9.59-v7+ #1047 SMP Sun Oct 29 12:19:23 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

What’s the output of dpkg --print-architecture?

IIRC raspbian breaks the armhf definition, the deb architecture is called armhf but the binaries are actually compiled for ARMv6 instead of v7 … given our core snap is a true armhf this will likely lead to issues where the systems overlap between snapd from the armbian deb and the core snap it needs to use to execute snaps…

snap interfaces is empty until the core snap is installed.

so what os would you recommend I run on the pi so that snaps run without issue?

On my desktop pc I can see all of the interfaces and I didn’t explicity install snap core so I’m wondering why I need to explicitly run it on the pi.

I did install snapcraft on my pc so maybe that brings core with it.

this does suggest a poor experience if the user has to explicitly install core. Do I need to make my snap dependant on core?

FYI: I’ve now installed core and yes the interfaces are now appearing.

I have another issues with the gpio interface missing but I will start another thread.

Thanks for the help.

Well, if you want to go with snaps all the way, obviously UbuntuCore. if it has to be deb based, i’d try if there is a proper debian armhf install (sadly there is no official ubuntu-server image for the pi3 yet)

core gets auto-installed alongside with your first snap … i guess you have some snaps installed on your PC …

I guess I will have a crack at ubuntu core.

and yes I had some other snaps installed, so makes sense now.

thanks.