Snap-confine elevated permisision, no snap packages will start

NO snap package will start. any snap package gets message: “snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be. Refusing to continue to avoid permission escalation attacks” with a smal notification message referencing “denied r” ld.so.cache

snap version snap 2.59.5 snapd 2.59.5 series 16 ubuntu 22.04 kernel 5.19.0-1027-lowlatency

tried --reinstall of snapd and reboot, but no success. reinstall fails with this message:

Reading package lists… Done Building dependency tree… Done Reading state information… Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded. Need to get 23.8 MB of archives. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 snapd amd64 2.58+22 .04.1 [23.8 MB] Fetched 23.8 MB in 1s (22.0 MB/s) (Reading database … 519438 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack …/snapd_2.58+22.04.1_amd64.deb … Unpacking snapd (2.58+22.04.1) over (2.58+22.04.1) … Setting up snapd (2.58+22.04.1) … snapd.failure.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it. snapd.snap-repair.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it. Failed to restart snapd.mounts-pre.target: Operation refused, unit snapd.mounts-pre.ta rget may be requested by dependency only (it is configured to refuse manual start/stop ). See system logs and ‘systemctl status snapd.mounts-pre.target’ for details. Could not execute systemctl: at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 142. Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) … Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) … Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-2ubuntu4.1) … Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) … Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu3) …

Have tried a variety of apparmor parser commands with no effect

Hi rr_snap,

It seems all you use Ubuntu 22.04 with snapd 2.59 and the only “unusual” part is the lowlatency kernel?

The complete messages is:

snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be. Refusing to continue to avoid permission escalation attacks
Please make sure that the snapd.apparmor service is enabled and started.
  • Can you confirm that apparmor service is enabled/running?
  • Would you please share the command you use to start a “snap package”

I’m also getting this quite often in an lxc installation I’ve in my NAS… The only workaround I’ve found so far has been force a refresh of snapd, basically doing something as snap revert snapd and snap refresh snapd or refreshing back to a previous revision (or to beta) and back again to stable.