Snap Apps no work with VPN?

Greetings, …,

I have ExpressVPN app and all the apps installed from Snap can’t run? If I turn off VPN, back to work all the apps. my OS is Ubuntu 19.10

I contact ExpressVPN to figure out, but no result to solve it.

May I know any solution can fix it?

Thanks,

There is not enough information to answer your question, but do you see any errors or policy violations in the log after you turn on the VPN and try to run a snap?

I can confirm this bug, too. messengerport and other electron-based snap apps don’t seem to connect to the Internet behind a running VPN service (expressvpn in my case). Since they’d often depend on the internet data, what you get is a blank screen. The same apps installed from .debs or .Appfile will have no problem connecting. Debugging doesn’t seem so straightforward as they don’t produce any output when run from a console. What could be done in order to debug this error properly?

journalctl --no-pager | grep DENIED

or:

sudo snap install snappy-debug
snappy-debug.security scanlog

then start your app and watch the output …

Thanks! Well, it seems that it’s apparmor that blocks the snap app from going online, am I right?

USER_AVC pid=849 uid=103 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" member="GetManagedObjects" mask="send" name="org.bluez" pid=29368 label="snap.messengerport.messengerport"

audit: type=1107 audit(1587923649.549:77): pid=849 uid=103 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" member="GetManagedObjects" mask="send" name="org.bluez" pid=29368 label="snap.messengerport.messengerport"

Thats just the app trying to talk to bluetooth, does not look like the snap confinement is hitting any blocked network access …

perhaps jamie has more suggestions …

Yep, I thought that after looking at the name="org.bluez". This is the output for another app which doesn’t connect to the internet:
dbus-daemon[1294]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal" bus="session" path="/com/canonical/dbusmenu" interface="com.canonical.dbusmenu" member="LayoutUpdated" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=28544 label="snap.signal-desktop.signal-desktop" peer_pid=1404 peer_label="unconfined"

I finally managed to get rid of this issue following this method (at least until the reboot):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Linux-desktop-client-offline-through-VPN/m-p/4838935/highlight/true#M19105 (if the permalink doesn’t work it’s Gig Goer’s post on ‎2019-10-09 10:48 PM)

I hope it will help others too.