Slack snap - window has no icon

Fedora 29, It worked for me

Linux Mint 19.1, Cinnamon desktop, still has no icon.
I already tried to add StartupWMClass=Slack to the desktop file.

I am on Ubuntu 18.10, running XFCE. My indicator icon was showing the Slacktothorpe properly, but the window list displayed the default fallback icon.

As a workaround, Paul Evansā€™ xseticon may be used to change the icon of an already-running Slack instance. This seems to work even after closing the window and reopening it from the tray/indicator.

1. Clone https://github.com/xeyownt/xseticon
  2. Install dependencies
    sudo apt install libxmu-headers libgd-dev libxmu-dev

3. Do the make dance
    make

4. Install the binary somewhere on your $PATH
    sudo cp xseticon /usr/local/bin

5. With the Slack window visible, execute the following, which will provide crosshairs to select the Slack window
    xseticon /snap/slack/9/usr/share/pixmaps/slack.png

6. bada bing, bada boom
1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem with the last version:
Slack: 3.3.4
Snap: 2.36.3-1
Xfce4: 4.12

Linux Mint 19.1, Cinnamon desktop, still has no icon.
StartupWMClass=Slack didnā€™t help
Is there a workaround?

I was having this issue on Debian 9 (Stretch), adding the StartupWMClass=Slack line to the .desktop file solved it for me.

Can confirm that the desktop file mod fixes it in ubuntu 18.10 as well.

It still isnā€™t setting an EWMH icon. However, as of 3.4.0, Slack sets _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MAIN. This causes Slack to be left out of the alt-tab menu. _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MAIN is not defined in the EWMH spec and has no results on a Google search.

Note that the xseticon utility is now packaged as a snap:

Worked for me too! Thanks. It should be somehow added to the app because any update removes this change.

Linux Mint 19 with Cinnamon desktop, still has no icon. StartupWMClass=Slack didnā€™t help me too. :frowning_face:

Linux Mint still misses the tray icon, but only with the snap version.

Same issue on Solus Budgie. Task icon is visible, but no tray icon. If I close the Slack window (close to tray enabled in Slack settings), then thereā€™s no way to restore it other than relaunching Slack.

Iā€™m using xubuntu 18.04 and for me both icons are missing. task bar and notification indicator.
found this solution from manjaro forum, and it works https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.slack.Slack

Having the same issue, recently upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 :frowning:

Cinnamon user here! Adding:

Icon=/snap/slack/current/usr/share/pixmaps/slack.png

to the .desktop file finally worked.