Slack snap out of date?

This is kind of a confusing mess.

Slack says 4.35 was released for linux on october 24. Snapcraft says the latest channel was updated on october 24… but snapcraft’s latest is version 4.34.

I can move to latest/beta to get 4.35 but that’s on a version that isn’t even listed on slack’s release notes for Linux – it does match the windows+mac beta though.

Any ideas?

This is what snap info slack says:

channels:
  latest/stable:    4.34.121 2023-10-24 (105) 121MB -
  latest/candidate: ↑                               
  latest/beta:      4.35.126 2023-11-01 (113) 122MB -
  latest/edge:      ↑                               

It’s an official snap from slack. So, no worry about that.

Right, so the issue is latest/stable is 4.34, not 4.35.

4.35.121 was released on 2023-10-24. 4.34.121 was released on 2023-09-28.

why is the “latest” snap dated 2023-10-24 featuring the version released a month prior? it seems too coincidental.

Probably they take a month time to test the snaps in beta

FYI,

4.35 is in beta, not in stable

All linux builds are considered beta. The Beta channel is on version 4.35.126 across all desktop platforms, and that is correctly reflected on the snapcraft repo’s beta channel. This is not an issue and not what I am talking about.

Let me try to reiterate one more time –

Slack released version 4.34.121 – that’s four dot three FOUR dot one two one – on September 28th, 2023 for MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
Slack released version 4.35.121 – that’s four dot three FIVE dot one two one – on October 24th, 2023 for MacOS, Windows, and Linux.

Notice the .34 and .35 difference. That’s super important, and is the entire basis of the issue here. Make sure you remember that 34 is not 35, and 35 is not 34. Following so far? Good.

The snap store has 4.34.121 marked as ‘latest’ with a release date of October 24th, 2023. See the problem here? The 34, not 35, released on October 24th, which is the 35 (not 34, remember, they’re different!) release date?

If it isn’t a coincidence that snap is one release behind and perfectly timed it to be out of date exactly when they posted it, then there’s an issue. Otherwise, if it’s just a coincidence, I will be happy being told that “yeah, versions are wicked behind, it’s just a coincidence that upon updating the repo a new version came out and we just said oh well let’s send it with the old version”

I get your point from the first. But, read carefully. Snapcraft is a store that allows users to publish their snaps with their version of Choice in their Channel of choice. Snapcraft or Snap Store has nothing to do with version controlling. It’s published by SLACK themselves. So, they all decides it. I guess you are not a snap packager, so this is it looks for the uploaders…

Here I can put even a 2 months old build in beta and the latest in stable channel, or whatever I want

1 Like