Slack: Please use LZO compression

Hi! @tigwke, @khammond I have been using Slack snap for quite a while and I feel the startup performance is quite slow. Can you please consider using LZO compression for the Slack snap ?

Some reading regarding that https://snapcraft.io/blog/why-lzo-was-chosen-as-the-new-compression-method

Thanks! It’s always best if these feature requests are submitted through our tracking system so we know how many users want it and can prioritize. You can enter /feedback in your slack message.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I have used the /feedback command and got a few replies from Slack support.

I am also sharing my finding here as well.

After emulating a fix for the first issue and recompressing the snap with LZO compression, I was able to get start up speeds similar to that of the deb package (give or take).

So I hope the development teams at Slack consider those findings and incorporate them into the package.

2 Likes

Hi folks, some of my team colleagues and I worked directly with the Slack team in the past couple of weeks on improving the functionality, including compression, extensions, etc. I believe there should be an update soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes