• ThinkPad T430u
  • Lubuntu 18.10 (4.18.0-10-generic)
  • slack-desktop-3.3.3-amd64.deb
  • LXQt Version: 0.13.0
  • Qt: 5.11.1

Console:
{12:26}~ ➭ slack
[1] 3013 segmentation fault (core dumped) slack

I was having the exact same issue with slack desktop 3.3.3, but with a fresh new lubuntu 18.10

[1] 6980 segmentation fault (core dumped) slack

So, I downgrade to version 3.1.1 from https://packagecloud.io/slacktechnologies/slack/packages/debian/jessie/slack-desktop_3.1.1_amd64.deb and now it works like a charm.

It should be something related to changes in newer versions.

I’m having the same problem as stirelli. Ubuntu 18.10, Slack 3.3.x.

If it’s of any use, here’s the strace of me trying to start Slack form the cli: Slack Strace

I also have no logs. This is specifically happening in my X session. I’ll it in Wayland in case it has something to do with the environment.

I contact to slack support and this is what they told me to fix this until the release of a new version.

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble with the crashes. It’s a known issue that our engineers are currently working towards fixing with glibc 2.28 causes a segfault (Fedora 29 and other latest/beta distros are affected for the most part). It should be fixed in the next version of our desktop app. I’ve attached your ticket to our bug report here, so that when the fix is out, we’ll notify you.

In the meantime, there are several workarounds you can try:

Downgrading to glibc 2.27-3.
Switch to the snap package if possible (some people have reported it works but not for all people).
Use Slack in a browser until the fix is released.
Sorry for the hassle with it, we’re hoping to have the fix in place in 3.3.4 but don’t have an ETA just yet. We’ll hopefully get a support build ready soon that we can send out to folks. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Thanks for sending on the report too.

All the best,

John

1 Like