Simple-scan not working

Hello everyone.
I try to open the simple-scan snap and it does not open. It also causes an overload on my system (Ubuntu 18.04). All other snaps work fine.
I do not know if the developers are aware about this (search did not report any other post), so I decided to create this topic.

@robert.ancell @kenvandine Can you take a look into this please?

does snap run simple-scan --debug show anything?

vitor@hp1460:~$ snap run simple-scan --debug
cp: ‘/home/vitor/.config/user-dirs.locale’ and ‘/home/vitor/.config/user-dirs.locale’ are the same file
Cannot load module /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: undefined symbol: ibus_bus_get_service_name
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so does not export GTK+ IM module API: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: undefined symbol: ibus_bus_get_service_name
cp: ‘/home/vitor/.config/user-dirs.locale’ and ‘/home/vitor/.config/user-dirs.locale’ are the same file
[…]

@kenvandine This snap is using a patched branch of ubuntu/snapcraft-desktop-helpers which the patch has already merged to the master, would you mind switching it back to use the master branch?

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/simple-scan/snap-classic/view/head:/snapcraft.yaml

Same behavior on KDE Neon.
The snap fails to start and for a while it’s causing an overload of the system.

Re-ping @kenvandine

I’ve updated the branch. It’ll rebuild and publish to the candidate channel soon. This was working last time it was built.

I’ve also pushed fixes upstream to build this as a strict snap, which will be more reliable. I’ll work on getting that into the store soon.

It seems that the upstream repo is located at https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Ubuntu/simple-scan, just unintentionally passing by.

That’s our ubuntu fork of it, eventually that’s where the automated builds will happen. In the case of simple-scan, the yaml has been accepted upstream at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/simple-scan

Any update about this?
Thanks

I have tried the simple-scan 3.30 snap from the edge channel, but it fails to see my connected scanner.
The Ubuntu package from the repositories works correctly.

$ snap interfaces simple-scan
-                                simple-scan:hardware-observe
-                                simple-scan:io-ports-control
-                                simple-scan:mount-observe
-                                simple-scan:network-control
-                                simple-scan:raw-usb
-                                simple-scan:system-observe

Make sure you have at least connect the raw-usb and hardware-observe interfaces.

I have connected all the interfaces, but still my scanner is not recognized.

snap interfaces simple-scan
Slot                             Plug
:desktop                         simple-scan,whalebird
:desktop-legacy                  keepassxc,simple-scan,whalebird
:gsettings                       keepassxc,simple-scan,whalebird
:hardware-observe                simple-scan
:home                            keepassxc,simple-scan,whalebird
:io-ports-control                simple-scan
:mount-observe                   simple-scan
:network                         keepassxc,simple-scan,whalebird
:network-control                 simple-scan
:raw-usb                         simple-scan
:system-observe                  simple-scan
:unity7                          keepassxc,simple-scan,whalebird
gnome-3-26-1604:gnome-3-26-1604  simple-scan
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes   simple-scan
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes    simple-scan
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes   simple-scan

I noticed that my Epson scanner that only has a non-free SANE plugin can’t work with the snap in the edge channel(the application will still detect it, but will always gives a fancy popup telling the user to download the driver from the Epson website).

The classic confinement snap’s app command in stable and candidate channel is not correct and will cause the application to crash.

Currently it is:

"$SNAP/bin/desktop-launch"  simple-scan

It should be:

"$SNAP/bin/desktop-launch" "$SNAP/usr/bin/simple-scan"

The simple-scan snap ships its own SANE package and its own backends, if your scanner’s driver requires additional installation(i.e. a out-of-tree/non-free backend) it won’t work on this snap.

You may export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 to see more diagnostic message from SANE.