Seed snap packages for airgapped Ubuntu 22.04 install

I’m not 100% sure this is the right forum for this question, but what I’m trying to do is figure a way to be able to perform an apt install -y -q ubuntu-desktop install on an airgapped system.

Basically right now the installation of that package is being held up because it can’t connect to api.snapcraft.io (because it’s airgapped) to find and install the firefox snap package.

What I was wondering/hoping was that there was a way for me to download and seed the snap in a local directory so when the system goes to check for this snap it finds it locally before trying to reach out to api.snapcraft.io.

I am trying dropping the firefox snap into the /var/lib/snapd/seed/snaps directory… also the /var/lib/snapd/snaps

I don’t know if this should work or not… and I don’t know if I also need to ack the assert file first. Any thoughts or directions would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t run any air-gapped devices, but have you checked these documents?

The process looks fairly involved…

Hi Zero0ne,

Have you considered installing the non-snap version of firefox?

I would 2nd this as it would fulfill the requirement of firefox for the ubuntu-desktop package.

As a hacky alternative, I’ve inspected the pre installation script of the transitional firefox apt package and while I was not able to figure out how to set firefox/snap-no-connectivity using debconf there is another way to “skip” the snap install with

sudo mv /run/snapd.socket /run/snapd.socket1; sudo apt install firefox; sudo mv /run/snapd.socket1 /run/snapd.socket

This is quite the hack however.