Requesting tracks "cdt", "jee" and "javascript" for the eclipse snap

Can you please add tracks for the flavours “cdt”, “jee” and “javascript” for the eclipse snap?

Maybe also https://github.com/snapcrafters/eclipse/issues/20 can be adressed in a proper way.

1 Like

Good idea. We’d need to move the builds to launchpad to facilitate the various builds. I am happy to do that.

Hello there,

I’m unfamiliar with eclipse, what are these tracks for?

flavours are typically represented by different snaps (see e.g. pycharm-professional and pycharm-community). Tracks (as mentioned in the github issue you quoted) are more typically used to represent versions of a given flavor that users might want to stick to, forgoing updates to the latest version.

Eclipse’s release cadence page is here, and from this it seems tracks named after each quarterly (actually every 13 weeks) release (so for example 2019-09, 2019-12, 2020-03) would be more adequate.

This however is not prescriptive, if you indeed want the requested tracks and could explain how you envision them being used, they can be granted as required.

• Daniel

Eclipse has different pre-packed “flavours”. The default that we use now is for Java development. But there are also flavours for C/C++ (cdt), Java enterprise (jee) or web development (javascript).
Instead of having a separate snap for each flavour I thought it would be nice to have them in separate tracks.
@popey what’s your opinion on this?