Request to allow use of system-files interface for canonical-livepatch

The canonical-livepatch snap has added the system-files interface to enable MOTD integration (the interface is used to copy a script to /etc/update-motd.d.

This has currently been rejected by manual review. Please review the snap again and allow the use of the system-files interface.

If there are better ways to allow a snap to output MOTD messages, I’d be very happy to learn about them.

@domas hey.

I see canonical-livepatch is requesting read and write access to /etc/update-motd.d/99-livepatch-kernel-upgrade-required. I am +1 to grant such access since this file is clearly owned by canonical-livepatch. Can other @reviewers please vote?

Since write implies read, can you please update the snap declaration and leave the write access only? Can you please also rename the interface reference to better reflect the location of the config file being accessed (i.e. etc-config-motd or even etc-update-motd-d instead of config-motd only? If you check the system-files doc is what we usually request as part of this process.

Thanks,

+1 from me provided the requested changes are applied. The motd file is indeed clearly linked to the canonical-livepatch snap.

• Daniel

@emitorino - thank you for the review.

I’ve updated the snap definition, addressing your comments.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting auto-connection for plugging system-files with write access to /etc/update-motd.d/99-livepatch-kernel-upgrade-required using the interface reference etc-update-motd-d. This is now live.