Request personal-files for wtf-tui [Was: Request for classic confinement: wtf-tui]

wtf-tui is a CLI tool for editing/creating YAML configurations for the WTF terminal dashboard. I would like to receive a classic confinement in order to obtain read/write access to the default WTF configuration file: “~/.config/wtf/config.yml”

Snap: wtf-tui

Edit:
I just found about the “personal-files” plug and it looks like this is exactly what I need. I submitted a new build of the snap with “strict” confinement and “write” access to the config file:

plugs:
    config-wtf:
      interface: personal-files
      write:
      - $HOME/.config/wtf/config.yml

apps:
    wtfutil-tui:
      command: bin/wtfutil-tui
      plugs:
        - config-wtf

It still needs manual review though.

+1 from me for since access to and modification of this file is the purpose of this snap.

Thanks. Can someone clarify if “strict” confinement + “personal-files” plug is enough for read/write access to the configuration file, or I do need the “classic” confinement? I tried building the snap locally with the config shown in the OP, but it still does not have permission. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

You will also need to manually connect the personal-files access in this case (ie snap connect wtf-tui:config-wtf)

1 Like

Thanks, this worked!

In this case, I will wait for the approval on the latest build:

Typical use of personal-files is for read-only access to dot files to import settings from other installations (eg, deb/rpm, local install, etc) where the snap is the clear owner of the file(s). In this case, wtf-tui is specifically designed for modifying this file and it is the clear owner. +1 for use of and auto-connection of personal-files for write access to $HOME/.config/wtf/config.yml using the interface reference of dot-config-wtf-config-yml.

@ggerganov - please adjust your yaml to use:

plugs:
    dot-config-wtf-config-yml:
      interface: personal-files
      write:
      - $HOME/.config/wtf/config.yml

apps:
    wtfutil-tui:
      command: bin/wtfutil-tui
      plugs:
      - dot-config-wtf-config-yml

(note, there is a voting period that hasn’t expired yet; once it does and assuming the votes pass, this request will be granted)

I have updated the snapcraft.yaml configuration as recommended.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, personal-files access to dot-config-wtf-config-yml. This is now live.

@ggerganov - as Alex mentioned via store comment, there is a corresponding change to the review-tools which is required and your snap may fail manual review. That change is now in production and I was able to resubmit revisions r39 and higher for automated review, and they all passed. I was unable to resubmit revision r38 (the amd64 build) though. Feel free to request another manual review for that revision or reupload; your future uploads should now pass automated review.

Thank you guys - the snap is now live.