Request ownership of ubports

Hi all,

I would like to request ownership of the account ubports, maybe even rename ubports-team to ubports if possible.

For all i know, this might be my account that i created and forgot about it :laughing:

Hey there!

The ubports username actually belongs to the ubports team, and it can’t easily be renamed (since the username might be part of Launchpad URLs and if we change that thiings might break).

I would suggest creating a new ubports-snap (or somesuch) account for this purpose.

• Daniel

I’m not sure i understand, but does the account ubports-team own the username ubports? if so can we use the ubports username to publish snaps? we want to have a clean username like for example kde has (https://snapcraft.io/search?q=kde) we really want to avoid any ubports-*

ah do you mean this? https://launchpad.net/~ubports can we use that account/team on snapcraft?

Or even rename it on lp, since we dont need to have a clean url there

I see there is an user called kde https://launchpad.net/~kde but how did kde figure this out on snapcraft?

Normally, when you log in to snapcraft with the ubuntu one account associated with the ubports launchpad account, you should get control of the ubports snapcraft account.

It’s an lp group not account, that’s the problem i think.

How about we just move it to ubports-team for the time being? That way at least the display in the store looks a little more official, and then, as soon as publishers are properly implemented, we’ll get ourselves a nice publisher account and snappify all the things?

1 Like

Hi @roadmr,

I hope that you, @mariogrip @galgalesh, and @NeoTheThird will forgive me for interjecting, but I suspect maybe there’s some confusion here. (Or maybe only I’m confused. :slight_smile: )

@roadmr, if I understand correctly, @mariogrip initial objective was not to rename the “ubports” account.

Rather, I believe that @mariogrip (a/k/a Marius Gripsgård, who is the the founder and lead developer of the UBports community) attempted to create a new “Ubuntu One account” having “ubports” as the username, but he found that the “Ubuntu One account” having “ubports” as the username already exists.

Indeed, a few moments ago (after reading this thread, and just to confirm the situation), I also attempted create an “Ubuntu One account” having “ubports” as the username, and I received the following in response to my attempt:

Please correct the errors below.

Error:

ubports is already in use.

So, it would seem that either:

1. someone within UBports created a “Ubuntu One account” having “ubports” as the username in the past (and has since forgotten the username/password associated with the account), or

2. someone outside of UBports created a “Ubuntu One account” having “ubports” as the username and is squating on it.

@roadmr, whichever the case may be, is there someone at Canonical who can give @mariogrip access to the “Ubuntu One account” that has “ubports” as its username?

If all else fails, maybe that’s an okay fallback option. But ultimately, you’ll want to regain control of the “ubports” account (which seems to exist). So if it were me, I’d exhaust a few more possibilities to regain control of that account before retreating to a fallback option.

Regards, GizmoChicken

P.S. Please forgive me if I’ve completely muddled the situation. It’s late here. Goodnight! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely right, thanks @GizmoChicken.

1 Like

I am now confused between this thread and Transfer snap.

I can only transfer the snap to a snap developer account (one that has been registered in dashboard.snapcraft.io).

If you are able to log into dashboard.snapcraft.io with an account that has the user name you want your snap to be transferred to (be it an existing account or a new one you would create for that purpose, with e.g. ubports-team which already exists or ubports-snap), I can transfer to that one. I can even transfer to that name now and if you later manage to get the ubports account, we can transfer again at that point.

I cannot arbitrarily give anyone access to the existing ubports username, nor can I arbitrarily shuffle usernames to give ubports to another account. If you want that name you would have to talk to one of the administrators of that Launchpad group and get them to change the name; at this point you would be able to register a new Launchpad/Ubuntu SSO account with the now-free ubports username and get things set up the way you want.

Let me know which way you’d like to proceed :slight_smile: (please add the desired recipient account as a snap collaborator so I can verify your intent and authorization!)

• Daniel

Hi @roadmr,

I’ll take an initial stab at responding. Hopefully @mariogrip and/or @NeoTheThird will follow up.

I am now confused between this thread and Transfer snap.

Sorry about that. For now, let’s focus on the ubports username issue as discussed in this thread. We can talk about the transfer later, once we’ve figured out the ubports username issue.

If you want [the ubports username] you would have to talk to one of the administrators of that Launchpad group and get them to change the name; at this point you would be able to register a new Launchpad/Ubuntu SSO account with the now-free ubports username and get things set up the way you want.

Thanks much for the above. I think we’re closing in on the solution.

Regarding talking to one of the administrators of the UBports group on Launchpad, actually Marius Gripsgard ( a/k/a @mariogrip, who started this thread ) is the Admin of the UBports group on Launchpad, and he has been since 2015-09-14. So I think that we’ve got that sorted out. :slight_smile:

Keeping in mind that Marius Gripsgard (a/k/a @mariogrip, who started this thread ) is the Admin of the UBports group on Launchpad, is there still a need for changing the name of the UBports group on Launchpad?

My guess is that, no, the name of the UBports group on Launchpad need not be changed. Rather, we just need to figure out how @mariogrip can recover the lost login credentials (email/password) needed for accessing the “Ubuntu One account” associated with the ubports username. Correct?

If my guess is wrong, and there is still a need to change the name of the UBports group on Launchpad, would you please elaborate a bit regarding the underlying reasons?

It does need to be changed as I will explain.

Not entirely correct :upside_down_face:

Snaps must be owned by an account having Ubuntu One credentials, that part is correct. But ubports has no such credentials because it’s a launchpad team and not a user. However, teams and users in Launchpad do share a namespace, which is why changing the name of the existing team would allow a user (understood as someone with an Ubuntu One account) to register under that name.

The possibly weird thing to know is that Ubuntu SSO uses launchpad’s namespace for users, so every SSO account has a corresponding Launchpad account. But the opposite is not true because Launchpad, which owns the namespace, also has the concept of teams or groups, which can “take” a name without a corresponding Ubuntu SSO account.

Let me know if this makes things clearer. With what you replied, however, a solution would be to get Marius to rename the existing ubports team, then someone should register a new Ubuntu SSO account with the ubports username and then log into the snap dashboard site and accept the terms, at which point we would be able to add that account as collaborator to the snap and perform the transfer.

You always retain the option of using ubports-team or any other account/username within the constraints mentioned above, if renaming ubports is not acceptable to that team.

Thanks for helping clarify all this :slight_smile:

• Daniel
1 Like

ok there we go! I renamed the group on lp and registed a new one account using the ubports name :smiley:

Thank you!

Can you now move the ownership of the ubports-installer app to the ubports account?

1 Like

This is done, thanks everyone for your patience!

• Daniel
3 Likes