Request for Home Interface Auto-Connect

Hi all!

I’m the developer of Picocrypt, a small, lightweight, and secure encryption tool (Install Picocrypt on Linux | Snap Store). Currently, I use Snapcraft for Picocrypt because of the wide support and “compile once, run everywhere” nature. However, as an encryption tool which deals with files, I’d like to request automatic connection and read/write access to a user’s home folder via the home interface, because an encryption tool is kind of useless if it can’t read/write files :slight_smile:. Although it seems like the home interface is connected by default on some distros, I would still like to have confidence that on any OS, Picocrypt will just work.

Here’s my snapcraft.yaml for reference:

name: picocrypt
summary: .....
description: .....
version: "1.27"
confinement: strict
base: core20
grade: stable
compression: xz

apps:
  picocrypt:
    command: bin/Picocrypt
    environment:
      NO_AT_BRIDGE: 1
      LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE: 1
    extensions: [gnome-3-38]

parts:
  picocrypt:
    plugin: go
    source: .
    build-packages:
      - gcc
      - xorg-dev
      - libgtk-3-dev
      - libgl1-mesa-dev
    stage-packages:
      - libc6
      - libgcc-s1
      - libgl1
      - libgtk-3-0
      - libstdc++6
      - libx11-6
      - xclip

plugs:
  home:
    interface: home

Thank you!

The home interface is auto-connected on traditional Linux distros - only on Ubuntu Core devices is it not auto-connected. Also since this is an encryption tool, if it is designed to do backups you might also want to look into the system-backup interface too

Ah I see. So it is safe to assume the connections will be available automatically on “non-server” systems. Thanks for the help!

1 Like