Request for classic confinement: gamebuntu

Hi, I’ve made an Electron app (named ‘Gamebuntu’) intended only for gamers using Ubuntu (it doesn’t have support for other distros). It requires access to apt-get, pkexec and system files, as well as launching system binaries (I initially made it available as an AppImage, since it required full system access), and it’s quite similar to the Ubuntu Mate Welcome app and Software Boutique. I’ve uploaded the snap with the name gamebuntu, and the status is “Manual review pending”. Here’s more information about it: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/gamebuntu/25544

@alexmurray @niemeyer

Hi, thanks for raising this topic. Whilst this snap is similar to the Ubuntu Mate Welcome app (allows installation of software etc), it is also quite different, in that it is not associated with a particular Ubuntu / distro flavour which to my understanding was one of the prime reasons why the Ubuntu Mate app was allowed by @niemeyer in Classic confinement request for Ubuntu MATE Welcome and Software Boutique - the process for reviewing classic confinement snaps specifically says that third-party installer applications are not a supported category for classic confinement.

As such I don’t think this fits in the current definitions.

@alexmurray I was planning to make Gamebuntu Remix, based on Ubuntu, so would that help?

Also note that the script bundled in Gamebuntu will install a non-Ubuntu kernel which I think means it is not acceptable to be distributed as a classic snap, see https://gitlab.com/rswat09/gamebuntu/-/blob/main/gamebuntu.sh#L42-44

Hey @rs2009,

Whats the status of this request? As it is, classic confinement cannot be granted.

Thanks!

@rs2009 - ping, can you please provide the requested information?

Hey @rs2009,

Since we’ve not heard back from you, we are removing this request from our review queue. When you have more time to respond, simply do so here and we can add the request back to the queue. Thanks!

sorry, I wasn’t active here (and got notifications in my spam emails). Gamebuntu is now primarily packaged as an AppImage and will soon be packaged as an MPR package. I guess you can remove it from the queue now

2 Likes