Request for automatic alias `Gate` for `gate` snap

Hello reviewers.

I’d like to request the alias Gate for the snap gate, on the app gate. I’m not sure if describing it as gate.gate even makes sense, because snapd doesn’t actually generate gate.gate. If required, I can make the command gate.Gate if it’s necessary for the store to use the package-name.app format, but I’d prefer to avoid this because I’d also like gate to remain available as well as Gate, just for the people who might be new to Gate and not expect commands to be distinguished on capitalisation, and not have an avoidable package.app entry if possible.

That paragraph might win an award for the most amount of gates ever said.

This request might sound unusual, but the capitalisation of the binary is important because tool used primarily via the CLI and with years of documentations and scripts that all have the big G.

Gate is a toolkit for physicists and biologists to simulate physical phenomenon. The upstream website is available at http://www.opengatecollaboration.org/

I believe usual requests would attempt to distinguish whether or not there could be confusion with the alias, but I think this request can probably skip that given the package name to begin with.

Cheers

James

I don’t see any issue on granting the Gate alias to this snap gate app so I am +1 for this. Can other @reviewers please vote?

1 Like

+1 from me, I don’t see any obvious conflicts.

1 Like

+2 votes for, 0 votes against. Granting the requested auto-alias Gate. This is now live.

Thanks for the assistance :)!