Request default aliases for Slurm

Hello @review-team and Store Team -

I would like to request the following aliases for the Slurm snap. These commands are used by both users and applications to communicate with the Slurm control server, and are commonly accessed via the users’ shell/terminal or other Popen like facility. I have linked the manpage for each command so that you can see what functionality it provides to users and applications:

Slurm specific

If you’re not familiar with Slurm, here’s the manpage. It provides a helpful top-level explanation of what Slurm is and all the daemons and command line applications that make up Slurm.

MUNGE specific

The Slurm snap package comes with the MUNGE authentication service bundled inside of it. What exactly is MUNGE? It’s a purpose built for HPC systems and used to authenticate the various hosts inside of an HPC cluster. You can check out its manpage to learn more about it!

The snap package is currently private because the original publisher of the Slurm snap wishes to have it transferred to the Ubuntu HPC community, but the latest revision is available in the latest/edge channel. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for the assistance!

Not surprisingly, from what I can see all of these aliases conflict with the slurm-client and munge packages in Ubuntu. Since though these are both the same software packages, I think it is fine to grant these aliases to slurm as users should not be surprised to have these commands provided by it as they would already be familiar with their usage etc.

+1 from me for auto-aliases for slurm of:

slurmctld
slurmd
slurmdbd
slurmrestd
sacct
sacctmgr
salloc
sattach
sbatch
sbcast
scancel
scontrol
scrontab
scrun
sdiag
sh5util
sinfo
sprio
squeue
sreport
srun
sshare
sstat
strigger
sview
munged
munge
unmunge
remunge
mungekey
1 Like

+1 from me as well for these two lists of aliases as there is no unexpected conflict with existing commands. Thanks.

1 Like

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting the above aliases to slurm. This is now live.