Request auto-connections for xlnx-nlp-smartvision snap

I’d like to request auto-connection of the following interfaces for the xlnx-nlp-smartvision snap published by Xilinx:

• camera: For access to USB camera interface
  • media-ctrl: For access to v4l controls for MIPI camera interface
  • alsa: Audio recording from microphone

This snap is used to demonstrate the operation of multiple Machine Learning algorithms running on both the Xilinx DPU in the programmable logic and the A53 processor. The application requires access to either a live USB or MIPI camera to demonstrate real-time machine learning inference. It also showcases natural language processing of live spoken commands which are captured via a USB microphone or USB webcam microphone.

This snap is only to be used for the upcoming Certified Ubuntu image for the Xilinx KV260 development board.

This is a similar application to the previously released xlnx-vai-lib-samples snap: https://snapcraft.io/xlnx-vai-lib-samples/listing

Thanks, Terry

Hi All - Can I please get some feedback by the end of this week? We’re targeting a public release to our customers next week.

Thanks, Terry

+1 from me for auto-connect of camera and media-control - however for recording of audio the audio-record interface is usually sufficient - can this be used instead of alsa?

Hi @alexmurray - I’ve tried to use audio-record without success. The only way I’ve been able to get the application to work is with the alsa interface. I don’t have the ability modify the application code at this point since it comes from another team and our release is coming up soon. I’d prefer to stick with alsa for now if it’s ok.

Thanks, Terry

CC @alexclewontin

@alexmurray Terry and I sat down and took a look at the sound situation. The application is directly incorporating some alsa code, and needs direct access to some /dev/snd nodes, which are covered by alsa but not by the higher level audio interfaces. From the FE perspective, this is a reasonable use of the alsa interface.

Hi @alexmurray - We’ll be going live with our Ubuntu image next week so I need to get this resolved before then. Can you help push this one through?

Thanks, Terry

Thanks for the clarification, in this case I think it is fine to auto-connect alsa due to the use-case of the snap in question. As such +1 from me for auto-connect of alsa as well for xlnx-nsp-smartvision. Since this has already been waiting for review for a while, I have proactively granted these even though we don’t have the full +2 votes required by the process but if other reviewers object we can always revoke this in that instance. This is now live.