Request auto-connection for kernel-module-control, pc-kernel snap

I’m requesting auto-connection for kernel-module-control, pc-kernel snap, Global Store. Note: the interface is defined in the nvidia-550-ko kernel component.

@alexmurray

1 Like

This seems appropriate for a kernel snap to be granted the ability to load kernel modules etc - can you provide any more details on what exactly this is needed for?

The nvidia-550-ko kernel component is supposed to replace the nvidia-assemble snap, with some relevant changes:

• it is not a separated snap anymore, it will be a kernel component
  • the drivers are not part of the kernel anymore but are shipping along with the component

Also, as nvidia-assemble, the component should modprobe the drivers via snapctl kmod insert, taking advantage of the kernel-module-control interface plug.

+1 from me for granting pc-kernel auto-connection to kernel-module-control interface as it sounds reasonable for the functionality described.

+1 from me. As dbruno74 said, a kernel component is replacing the nvidia-assemble snap. The kernel component is a part of the pc-kernel snap and needs permission to insert nvidia kernel modules.

Thanks for the additional information, +1 from me too.

+1 from me for granting auto-connect kernel-module-control interface to this snap

+3 for, 0 against granting pc-kernel auto-connection to kernel-module-control interface, fast-tracking the request. The publisher is vetted. This is now live.

Thanks @jslarraz . We just figure out that kernel-module-load will be needed as well. The reason is that kernel-module-load allows to set modeset argument for nvidia-drm driver, which is required by wayland compositor.

Wondering if that can be granted as well, or I need to file a different store-request for it.