Reject names with expletives

@G.S.1 About your google play statement, did you try doing a search in the play store before making such affirmation? I blindly searched for “fuck” and got results for:

Fuck You Wallpapers
Tinder
Fuckit
Fuck You (Drinking name)

and many more.

Also, you are not considering other languages. In Spanish, for example, the same word “coger” has two complete different meanings for Spanish-Argentina and for Spanish-Spain. So the store shall ban it or not?

(Spoiler: no, it should not ban it)

3 Likes

@G.S.1 We’re not trying to be dismissive, we’re trying to have a conversation. What would you suggest to the snap dev? What should the snap be named? How can it be found by people who specifically want to use and find a snap for thefuck?

I’m not dismissing anything. I’m merely countering your arguments.

I wouldn’t want us to make policy decisions without the facts. The fact is this application is not in breach of our policy. The fact is that other distros do carry these same applications. The raspberry pi image carries them. The most popular two mobile stores on the planet carry them. All contrary to your assertions to the opposite.

A lot of time could have been saved by a lot of people on this thread if you’d started by doing a little research first. That’s all.

1 Like

Does the Snap Store support aliases?

If possible, it would appear under listings as thef###, and a user could install it under that name, but if the user typed snap install thefuck directly, then it would install it that way.

Did a little research first? Perhaps. However, even if everyone else carries them, that doesn’t mean we should. I am sorry about potential bad arguments, I actually just got a new book on bad arguments yesterday. One of them was “Following the bandwagon.” Just because everyone else is doesn’t mean we should.

1 Like

So every single software repository we can think of accepts these terms, and indeed we won’t be able to please everybody because going across languages we can very easily hit bad language for other people, even being completely unaware of it.

We also don’t have anybody else arguing that this is a good idea here, so just in terms of voting alone, I think we’ve reached agreement that we don’t want to reject those terms today.

I’m closing this topic temporarily.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 5 days.